Website Navigation – Best Practices

Home Forums SEO Agency Chat Website Navigation – Best Practices

This topic contains 7 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by   Peter Wootton .

• Author

Kara Corr

Trying to help a client clean up their website navigation which has way too many links and levels. Any best practices to share?

Nurul Khan

Nav: 3 clicks max to get to the Conversion page

• Try to use the PageRank of every page to prioritise the most important web pages of your site and then construct your menu.
    • Try to describe the solution of the product on the menu instead of the name of the product
    • Maybe a mega menu is a good idea

Nurul Khan

I would also recommend sub navigation so subsections can have a different menu to power up on a section wide basis. This way the pages can still get power from the internal linking and it’s cleaner for visitors.

Too many link in nav does NOT = bad ranking. I base changes on rankings, if they rank well already why change – I would not remove links if it’s ranking, but you can clean with the Mega Menu idea^.

If they don’t rank well then fix and make a bigger change.

Stuart Erskine

What data do you have to suggest that the navigation structure is not optimised or working appropriate?

Dig into GA and it should help tell the story. If it shows a need to restructure the link profile of the website I would recommend testing it with a very small subset and see the impact on rankings.

Paul Davis

Good point. What do you think would be an indicator in GA that it’s time to make changes?

Christopher Copp

Try to limit navigation to important pages, basically pages that will capture or convert.

Claire Wallace

Let’s say that you have a shoes website. You sell shoes both for men and women. Suppose that for men, you sell brands X, Y, Z and for each brand you have shoe models, numbers, colours, etc. Would you go on and add all that on the menu? ie Men shoes > brand X > model Y > red […]

No. The menu should Only have men shoes and women shoes, along with other important pages ie offers. In this case, blog, contact, about us are not important and should not be on the main menu. You may assume that they belong there out of habit but no. No client who wanted to buy shoes navigated to the contact us page. They just want to browse the shoes you are selling. The aforementioned links belong on the footer. The users are familiar with this, they know where to find them if they need them AND they will not be cluttered with many unnecessary links on the menu.

So, to recap, men shoes and women shoes go on the menu.

Brands, models etc, go on the sidebar (usually the left one), with appropriate hierarchy. Colours, along with other attributes, belong exactly there, in the product attributes and in the filtering sections.

I hope this is enough to give you a head start.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

Where would you put the about us page, blog, and other page that you think not important?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.