Temporary 301 Redirects

Home Forums SEO Agency Chat Temporary 301 Redirects

Tagged: 

This topic contains 13 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by   Paul Hardy .

• Author

Debra Fuller

Is there such a thing as a *temporary* 301?

We’re in the process of redesigning a site and we’re setting our 301s. On the new site, one of the existing pages is going away–but only for a few months. We don’t want to lose the inbound links we’ve gained, and we have a temporary page we can send it to, but the original page will be back (with a different URL) in a few months.

What would be the proper way to handle this?

William Greer

Try 302!

Barnaby Martin

302 to a “under construction Web page”!

Barnaby Martin

Well, it won’t be under construction.

Here are some more details…

This is for a page that talked about a company that has four other companies. On the new site, we’re building a page for the four companies individually rather than one master page. We would like to point the URL to one of the sub pages for now, until we can create another company master page…but we don’t want to lose juice to the company page.

So…

Now:
    example.com/main-company/

Soon:
    example.com/main-company-new/sub-company-1
    example.com/main-company-new/sub-company-2
    example.com/main-company-new/sub-company-3
    example.com/main-company-new/sub-company-4

Eventually:
    example.com/main-company-new/
    example.com/main-company-new/sub-company-1
    example.com/main-company-new/sub-company-2
    example.com/main-company-new/sub-company-3
    example.com/main-company-new/sub-company-4

We want to send example.com/main-company/ to example.com/main-company-new/ when it’s ready, but for now example.com/main-company/ will point to example.com/main-company-new/sub-company-1

Does that help? Is 302 still the right answer?

Barnaby Martin

I never like 302’s. They don’t pass any juice. The page you were ranking for will drop if there us a delay on the project. What I would do is send them home page and start building links to the other 4. When main company comes back send those links back to new company page. Especially if they are all separate locations. Build out separate locations in Google my business and do your schema. When new page comes back remove the redirect and make sure schema and Google my business is correct. Just be careful with the wildcard redirect on the old main company page.

Stephen Dalby

Just saw that part of that main will be sub1. I would also look at the anchor text and adjust above if it makes sense. But Try to keep it as clean as you can. You end up losing less links from others dropping them if you take it to home page. My rule of thumb is of I am not sure I go with user experience and don’t blow the link if it’s good.

Stephen Dalby

Peter Cronin

Called a 302.

James Chalmers

Use a 302 redirect. That will ensure that you do not lose the link juice.

Alexandra Gorman

Why not delay any changes until you have the new website completely (main, sub, etc) built out and ready to go in a dev environment?

Geoffrey Claughton

302 is not Google friendly. You won’t pass any juice to the other page, but you will also lose the ranking of the existent page. I can’t find right now where one of the googlers actually said that they don’t recommend 302s. And by the way, even 301 looses around 15% of the juice – even if Google doesn’t say so… but that’s another story

Peter Campbell

302 is the equivalent of a temporary 301.

Tracey Harrington

Go for 302 if it is temporary. Simple!

Paul Hardy

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.