Switching SEO Plugins

Home Forums WordPress Switching SEO Plugins

This topic contains 12 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by   Peter Wootton .

• Author

Elizabeth Renwick

I started the process of switching to seopress pro from yoast – and I’m getting a bunch of weird 404 errors now from the monitoring feature – things that don’t make sense to me, and I’m not sure where they are coming from!

Pages like /login.php and /user/register – anyone know why? These are the more straight forward errors I’m seeing, related to system pages – but I’m also getting some errors from plugins that have never even been on my site before? Example: wp-content/plugins/reflex-gallery/admin/scripts/FileUploader/php.php (never used that plugin before or even heard of it)

Any help would be appreciated – I’ve reached out to support last night but getting antsy for a reply and figured maybe someone here would know what’s going on?

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

Anyone? Still waiting for support to reply

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

Been 3 days since I purchased pro, switched, immediately have issues (dozens of 404’s for URLs I don’t understand) and support has not replied to my ticket yet – is that reasonable? Purchased on your recommendation – in case you are curious how you should rate them on the support end (not good).

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

It’s the weekend for them. Most software companies don’t offer support on weekends. It’s France, a different time zone.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

Hold your horses, writing an explanation

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

This is not SEOPress, these are BOTS scanning your site for vulnerabilities. You website is returning 404’s because it’s not vulnerable. This is perfectly normal.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

Thanks for the quick reply Adam, too bad you are the one providing support for them instead of a timely reply from the company itself – maybe I’m not understanding this feature properly, but I installed seopress on 30ish sites, with about 20 more to go – the result for turning on that feature is over 100 emails with 404’s in 3 days – it seems ongoing. Based on your reply it seems I don’t understand the features purpose – I thought it would act as a sort of broken link checker scanning my site and sitemaps for pages returning a 404? not true?

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

You can optionally use a security plugin that will blog IP addresses if there are excessive 404 pages on the url’s they visit. I don’t use that though because they can mess up and block the google bot.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

What you are saying just clicked to me, you are saying bots are “guessing” at URLs trying to find points of entries, and seopress is logging that as a 404 error from the attempted visit, correct? That seems to make sense actually.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

Yep that is it. I get it all the time, like literally non-stop.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

That is what is happening to me, do you keep the feature engaged? I am debating turning it off although I like the idea of it exposing potential problems quicker than search console. Thanks for clearing this up btw, the important part is knowing it’s not a major issue with my sites or the plugin.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

I would turn the notifications off for it.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

Hi, sorry for late answer, I was off for 5 days. I just replied to your ticket.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.