Setting Up A Blog – Link Juice

Home Forums SEO Mastermind Setting Up A Blog – Link Juice

This topic contains 25 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by   Peter Wootton .

• Author

George Bushell

What is the most link juice friendly way of setting up a blog?

I have a blog with about 40 pages (400 total posts). This makes it more difficult to ensure that everything is below a 4 click depth.

Should I set up the blog for one page that continuously loads everything if they click “more” or should I do something else, or does it even matter?

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

Maybe run the blog through some site architecture software, like site bulb. I would say yes. UX has both SEO and user experience impact.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

I mean, I can evaluate the structure, but I don’t know a solution for these blog pages. I’ve used Raventools, Screaming Frog, and sitebulb to view the blog.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

Good question.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

Without looking at it, not sure.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

Also I’m a fan of Ryte. From the makers of Yoast. Used to be called onpage.org

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

No…not the way you describe unless you judiciously no index some pieces….and still no.

Unique excerpts for each post and make them click to read it.

I realise this is likely for business rather than my type of sites but this minimises/eliminates duplicate content and ensures so social shares and links land where they are supposed to and allows like articles to be clumped together via internal links.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

Ok, so the site is Raventools.com/blog

And you’re recommending to keep all those page 1-40 and to create unique excerpts for each article?

It just seems like my click depth is forever long when 40 pages exist and not every article has a relevant internal link opportunity. (most do, like 80% of them)

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

Yep. And at some point those 20% will find their opportunities.

If not, you have a giant mess of a blog page that is going to confuse the fuck out of Google unless you no index it and it’s going to get weird social shares because readers are dumb-fucks and won’t click to the actual article page to share.

You remember my main site? I compete against mommy bloggers who have shit loads more DR than I do because I do my on page correctly.

And I’m starting to do well against those massive media companies who are also in my space. (I already spank them for affiliate content…the informational stuff is a bit harder).

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

I just realised your sent me the actual blog. I’d create unique excerpts for all those with images of some sort and a nice CTA button… i.e. click here, read more…etc.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

To create unique excerpts you may need to pull down the view option in WordPress and check “unique excerpt.”

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

Or you could use a page builder to do it.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

Are you suggesting to use a page builder for the blog archive page and then create custom post titles?

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

I don’t understand how we can avoid those “weird social shares because readers are dumbfucks and won’t click to the actual article page to share”
      How is the page designed to avoid this please?

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

Yes… If you wanted 100% control over the blog archive page, you could redirect it to a normal page and use page builder to make it or I think Elementor allows direct control of the original blog archive page via templates.

I would just create custom excerpts though and pick a theme that looked good OR tweak CSS as required.

Sigh….Second question…when full narratives are all ran together on ONE SINGLE PAGE i.e. blogger style….and that page is shared. And then someone lands on it…they just see a mass of shit and not the specific article they thought they were clicking to.

The original sharer COULD have clicked through to the actual article page from the blog archive but most won’t because they are stupid.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

Thank you as always for taking the time to educate us.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

Yeah, I hate that stuff. I honestly prefer just having a meta description of sorts and a list of 15 or so blog articles.

I’d like to be able to see the top posts (by importance and relevance) as well.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

I worked on a 10 thousands post website before and thought about that link juice since the website had like 400-500 (20 or 25 posts per page) pages so I decided to increase the numbers of posts in every page to be about 100 posts in every page and yeah I saw a small increase in traffic and rankings for most of them.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

The linking comes from an article level, so you want to be concentrating on those to form a link structure / silo.

Are you looking to promote site pages, or just other blog posts?

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

Both, ideally. At the moment, I want my blog articles to all have a click depth under 5. I’m currently looking into a cull. Might delete some posts with 0 traffic and potentially do a re-write of some of the material.

The problem is that some of these posts have no value because the information is outdated or its just poor writing.

So, in the spirit of trying to create better internal links and increase page authority for all important posts, I’m attempting to do 3 things:

Reduce Click Depth
      Increase Number of Internal Links to each page
      Delete Worthless posts (figure out what’s worthless)

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

I don’t understand your comment “The linking comes from an article level, so you want to be concentrating on those to form a link structure / silo”

I would really appreciate a further explanation about this please.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

I could be wrong. But I think you should understand that all these comments are revolving around the fundamental principle of a silo structure. I would suggest really reading up on silo structures, internalising the concept. At the end of the day all we want to do is make our quality content easy to discover and relevant for users and search engines.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

1 approach: Designate your 20 most significant content as “hub” articles that link out to the most related other articles.

Assuming each of the 20 links out to 20 different articles that pulls up the crawl depth a ton. Then link those top 20 from a top level hub page, you could organise them into a logical sequence and potentially call it a course.

Your max crawl depth is now 4 assuming the top level hub page is linked from the home page.

Home -> resource hub -> top 20 articles -> slice of 20 other articles

This assumes you want an architecture with roughly equal link juice. If that’s not the case, then you would avoid linking to some articles from your top 20 and instead link from the first layer underneath those.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

So, you’re essentially advising to not bring up posts by most recent, but to bring up posts by most important. Should I have a widget surfacing recent posts? Should the top 20 posts consistently remain in the top 20 until I decide another post deserves to be up there?

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

Check this out for a great example: 3 recent posts at the top and then “best of” near the bottom https://ahrefs.com/blog/

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

Why don’t you use taxonomies or categories and have all the post links on each of those respective category or taxonomy page? Make sure that all those category or taxonomy pages are linked via the menu on the home page or have a html sitemap (linked on the home page) that lists those category or taxonomy pages.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.