SEO Recruitment Advice

Home Forums SEO Agency Chat SEO Recruitment Advice

This topic contains 15 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by   Neil Ludlow .

• Author

Ronald Hesketh

Recruitment advice:

I’d like to hire a junior team member to help out with SEO projects. I’m after someone local to me and entry level who wants to learn and get into the industry, maybe even an intern from the local university. Any tips on how to recruit and what to look for?

Simon Scott

Ditto. We are on the search for someone in the LA area with WordPress experience. We have tried indeed. Any other advice?

Simon Scott

I haven’t tried anything yet. Just giving it some though. Thinking of going directly to the universities that are local to us (London) and recruiting talent from there.

Nurul Khan

Why on earth would you want to hire a noob?

Nurul Khan

Because we want the right cultural fit. I want to train someone up to do things in a particular way and also to give them the skills to prepare them for later down the line.

Nurul Khan

Do you even know what skill sets you want? Have you dealt with millennial’s – they are ….. I have in-house: 1 developer, 1 Facebook expert who is skilling up in AdWords, 1 in house content writer and a team of 60 os and myself as well as numerous other contractors globally. If you want to scale then you want experience. You will then be able to charge more. I’ve been where you are, it’s not worth the hassle.

Stuart Erskine

I recruited an intern in a past role and it was a great experience. They learned a lot and I got someone to take a lot of stuff off my hands. We already have more experienced team members doing the technical stuff, it’s more of the more admin, laborious stuff I’d like the help with. Working millennial’s should be alright seeing as I am one.

Paul Davis

As I said, your call.

Christopher Copp

Great question:

1. Always hire personality first. (Skills can be taught)
    2. Have that person shadow you for a while
    3. Their role should be to do all the tedious admin and research tasks that you shouldn’t be doing anymore. You should be focused on the bigger things like sales, SEO strategy, etc…

Good luck!

Claire Wallace

That’s exactly the type of thing I have in mind. Thanks

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

My first hire was new to the industry. This person shadowed me for a month and eventually took 80% of my work off my plate which included setting up meetings, follow up calls, calendar, scheduling, contract signing, grammar checking, research, organisation, and so much more.

Simon Chapman

My first hire was new to the industry. This person shadowed me for a month and eventually took 80% of my work off my plate which included setting up meetings, follow up calls, calendar, scheduling, contract signing, grammar checking, research, organisation, and so much more.

I could then do more of the big stuff that only i can do.
      This is great way to scale your business.

Anders Jensen

I could then do more of the big stuff that only i can do.
      This is great way to scale your business.

Lynne Haskell

Look at a digital marketing apprentice, we have gone this route and has worked well, there are some fab youngster out their that somehow fell through the gaps and are great and willing to learn.

Colin Hodgson

I have used interns from our local university. It’s a great fit. They fulfil any obligations for their degree, they get on-the-job training and it is a probationary period to see if it is a fit. In our area they are required to complete 300 hours of internship to graduate. Candidates go through the same interview process as if you were hiring. I look for the business majors with a focus in marketing.

Neil Ludlow

Glad to hear this worked well for you. This is the route I’m leaning towards. I did a sandwich degree myself and had a great experience with a one year paid internship in between. I’d love to give that opportunity to someone else. (The unpaid internship where I was treated badly was after I graduated – that was essentially slave labour!)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.