SEO Client Retention

Home Forums SEO Agency Chat SEO Client Retention

This topic contains 15 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by   Peter Wootton .

• Author

Kate Gordon

How to retain a client, when he asks for a refund after receiving his month end report?

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

Ask why he wants a refund. Did you make promises you couldn’t keep? If not, then he shouldn’t get one.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

Promised him 3 post in a week, but I posted only two times.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

Why didn’t you post for a 3rd time?

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

I forgot.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

Try grovelling and offer him extra for free next month, and don’t miss the deadline again.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

Also, I don’t want to sound patronising because being organised is damned hard… but use a calendar to set the tasks and stick to them. If you set a reminder there’s no way you’ll miss the content creation days.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

Which tool you are using for reminders?

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

Google calendar, phone alarm…

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

Mark it as lesson learned – you promised XYZ, and only got XY, you broke your service agreement – he’s not in the wrong to ask for a refund.

The thing is that we work in an industry with a bunch of people who are looking to scam business owners. If he can’t trust you on 3 posts per week, he can’t trust you on larger / bigger projects.

I’m not entirely sure how long ago he asked for the refund, etc. But if he did it a few days ago – you’re kind of out of options at this time.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

Tell him you will have to undo your work.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

No, I’ll convince him.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

Show willing. Apologise. And throw him something for free. You’ll learn and he will appreciate it.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

Wow. You’re not doing business well.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

What? No, do not throw something in for free!! First – don’t promise stuff you can’t or won’t follow through on. You should always under promise and over deliver. And it is your responsibility to find ways of keeping on deadline. You do owe him a refund on the article you didn’t deliver though.

Did you sell the value? Does your customer have clear expectations of your SEO campaign? It is not a sprint to the finish line and does not happen quickly. It’s a long ass marathon that takes time, hard work and a lot of dedication.

Why are you posting 3x per week? There is no proof that says posting more than once every 4-6 weeks improves your rankings. I post once every 3-4 weeks on their site and once every 3-4 weeks on Web 2.0 properties and it works. Just make sure the content is high-quality, relevant and authoritative.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

I have a no refund policy that I explain before anyone starts services with me. They have to agree to a minimum 6-month term, and I explain why. But all that doesn’t matter much if you don’t deliver – all bets are off!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.