Screwed Over By SEO Client

Home Forums SEO Agency Chat Screwed Over By SEO Client

This topic contains 30 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by   William Trimble .

• Author

Stephen Dalby

Ever been screwed over by a client?

Dairmuid Gallagher

It happened to me yesterday, first time in 15 months in business. the client told me they weren’t happy, despite all the metrics heading upwards. It wasn’t happening fast enough.

I’d been engaged on the project for just over 1 month…ridiculous. Told me she was terminating and wasn’t going to give the required 30 days notice.

I have no written contracts, as I’m trying to do things differently. She’s now forced my hand for my other 19 clients…everyone will now be required to sign a contract. What an asshole.

Claire Wallace

That really suck – The problem is these clients are getting marinated with instant results love songs by other agencies with their fake screenshots of how bad we are doing when in fact it’s tactics to steal clients.

The hell with her… keep doing what you are doing.

Claire Wallace

Yup, similar boat, just this week.

Had to help update a WP site that hadn’t been updated in 5 years. Put it on a dev server, ran the updates and fixed the bugs.

They wanted design changes which weren’t included in the scope.

Completed changes then they started trying to delay their payment even though they agreed to 7 day payment terms.

I’ve now locked them out of the staging site. Their current site still can’t process orders and has already lost quite considerable order amounts, even though they were pushing me to be quick in getting it up.

Richard Flynn

What is wrong with these people, that they think it’s appropriate to hold us to ransom? We’re the ones trying to help.

James Chalmers

The most frustrating part is when I get spoken down to as if I’m lower because I’m one person.

Comments like “oh I used to run my own business and I had to deal with 30 day payment terms all the time”

James Chalmers

The worst part with what I call half stepping clients is regardless of the fact they get nothing since I hold all the details , we still put in the time which we can’t get back.. I’ve built assets that I’ve ended up keeping and re-purposed for other clients but overall positioning well and having commit some skin in the game early helps keep things in line.

James Chalmers

I had a client who didn’t pay after the website was finished. I just forwarded his domain name to a site that is very inappropriate to mention here… lol.

James Chalmers

I had that earlier this year, they moved it from my servers. Used DMCA to take it down several times – it’s still down atm. haha

Jenny Ting

I’m not getting into any BS or dirty tricks with them. Remember it’s also your reputation on the line. I’ve sent them an email today telling them I expect them to honour the contract and we’ll see where we go from there. It’s important to maintain the moral high ground, in case it ever ends up in court.

Jenny Ting

Nope, touch wood. Water-tight, measurable KPI’s locked into a pre-agreed, advance payment, signed contract.

Jenny Ting

For SEO work, Agreed monthly fee always paid in advance or no work. NO EXCEPTIONS.
    Trust and Value yourself.

Keith Millar

Not for SEO but yes for website development.

Keith Millar

Sorry, man.

We’ve all been there. What I learned from similar situations is that responsibility is power. Even when a client is clearly wrong, holding them responsible is giving them all the power.

I then go through all the things I could do differently. I take responsibility for everything so I can control the future.

Anyway, it sounds like your making adjustments to protect yourself. Good luck to you.

Keith Millar

I take your point but everyone is responsible for your own actions. I will learn from it though.

Keith Millar

The web development company I worked for feel victim to this all the time. I learnt from their mistakes and always agree (contract signed) to be paid 70% upfront.

Stella Reynolds

I feel as though these scenarios become more and more common as SEO services, graphic design services etc become commoditised. Sites like Fiver, and agencies that farm work out overseas really exacerbate the problem. Each day we encounter more and more prospects that expect SEO and design services are turnkey with a fixed price and likewise a fixed result. It’s getting harder to navigate out there, but now more than ever its important not to undervalue your services.

Stella Reynolds

I used to but then realised I need to stop extending credit to clients. If they don’t pay on the due date, I stop everything. I still have so many “clients” that have outstanding invoices from the past.

Stella Reynolds

I walked away from this business model and yes, there many outstanding invoices not paid.

These businesses wants to make money but hate to pay.

Debra Fuller

This is the reason I own my own properties – No pay. I handle over the leads to their competitors.

Debra Fuller

Yes but no offence, that model wouldn’t work for me. Anyone with sense knows to own your own domain. My work is on retainer. This was a three month trial.. agreed to. All the stats were up. Visitors, revenue and rankings.. she just didn’t understand something and spat the dummy.

Debra Fuller

Yea – Agree. This business model is not for everyone. It took me a while to perfect it and make it work for me.

I still have clients on retainers and till this day….I find myself explaining this and that, showing stats, analytics and repeating myself why I charge for this or that…..

Good luck bud. I know clients drives us up the wall and they know how to push buttons….lol

Gary Griffiths

Yes and learned from it. It happens. It’s part of any business. No one is perfect so we all get burned and so do the clients. Learning is key and contracts.

Gary Griffiths

Yes and learned from it. It happens. It’s part of any business. No one is perfect so we all get burned and so do the clients. Learning is key and contracts.

Gary Griffiths

All the time. You just have to have a rock solid contract (prepared by a lawyer in your state or area) and get payment ahead of the service time. I generally charge the client’s credit card on the 18th of the month prior to service. Build in a minimum 30 day cancellation notice clause so that they can’t just abandon you when the bill is due.

Gary Griffiths

Yeah i don’t currently have written contracts because I’ve sold the business on the basis that we don’t lock you in… what I do have is a proposal document where the terms are outlined, and it does have the 30 days notice. Anyway, it looks like one bad apple spoils the bunch… so all new clients will have to sign paperwork and be locked in for a longer time period. Shame but if people will take liberties.

Kara Corr

I get lazy and don’t follow the process and don’t have contracts all the time and it bites you in the ass. Easier to have a master template and use electronic signatures to send out.

Kara Corr

It annoys the hell out of me. I do not WANT to have contracts. It’s old school. I’m trying to chuck that formality out of the window. I just need decent human beings as clients. Which for the most part I do have.

Kara Corr

I make my own contracts (my life is a lawyer and myself have a BD in law).
    I’m covering all possibilities and always charge in advance. Also minimum 30 days cancellation notice but when I accept cheaper contracts I insist for minimum 6 months contract, without cancellation.

William Trimble

For website development we have always taken 50% down, 30% progress on design sign off and 20% final before the website is set live on the final domain name. This has worked well for us for over 15 years. If you establish this expectation in your service agreement the maximum amount you will lose if a project is stalled, before it’s finished, will be the remaining 20%.

William Trimble

I’m the same. I recently changed to 50/35/15.

The way I word things:
      50 to start
      35 upon design approval
      15 upon initial delivery of beta preview on our demo servers

That gets me to 100% for all the clients that slack behind. They can slack all they want and deliver all feedback on their time but within 30 days all at once with internal feedback included from their team.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.