Rankings – Wix Vs WordPress

Home Forums SEO Agency Chat Rankings – Wix Vs WordPress

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 25 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by   Andrew Nokes .

• Author

Elspet Fleury

Is it true that WIX websites are harder to rank than WordPress sites?

Jamie Stewart

Of course, you have zero control over the technical aspects with Wix.

Jonathan Hayward

In Wix you have no access at code level. For SEO you need that.

Jonathan Hayward

Yes, its like wanting a race car but you can only shop at your local Ford dealership.

Jonathan Hayward

Ermmm what’s wrong with Ford!

William Greer

It get’s you from A-B – same as WIX

William Greer

I’ve just taken on SEO for a Wix site. We’re normally strictly WordPress but this was an exception. We haven’t started the technical aspects yet, but one thing I’m impressed with so far is the load speed. It also scored 100% in the SEMRush site audit, however it’s only a one page site at the moment so that could be why. I’m sure we’ll run into issues when we get started, but from what I’ve read Wix have upped their game.

Barnaby Martin

Square space on the other hand was a different story. Had an enquiry from a square space prospect and we’ve advised them to go down a bespoke WP route for SEO. Really slow and tons of issues.

Barnaby Martin

Yes.

Barnaby Martin

I would say it would depend on your SEO skills and budget if you planning to hire an agency. I believe that of your target keywords are not too competitive and budget quite low – then WIX would be a winner. For example, if you are a local business WIX would have sufficient tools to rank you well. I personally managed to rank WIX website well above WordPress competitors.

Stephen Dalby

Definitely harder

Stephen Dalby

You can still rank it but it’s harder to make changes to the homepage for on-page purposes. But I have ranked a client that offers accounting services and his website is Wix. If I have to choose I will always choose WP.

Peter Cronin

If you’re serious about ranking in search engines don’t use a site builder like Wix or anything similar. Get a professional to help you.

James Chalmers

It depends. One thing is for sure: Google doesn’t care if you’re using Wix, WordPress or anything else. Despite what most people think, WordPress is optimised for SEO without having any plugin installed and it’s almost the same with Wix – the have the h1s in place, the title is there, I am not sure, but I think you can edit the title of a page in Wix as well – depending on the template. In 90% of the cases (cases like in websites), you don’t need access to the code at all when you do SEO. If you think you need access to the code, that means that you’re targeting some hard keywords, need to do a lot of SEO work, and in this case contact an agency. Other way, focus on good content and good back-links. p.s.: the reason why some people would think Wix is worse than word press is because Wix has a visual builder interface – usually, these interfaces (as any other drag and drop solution) add a lot more code to the source and tend to make the page load slower. Of course, that can affect the SEO. Now, if I’d have to chose between Wix and WordPress, I’d personally go with WordPress, but please allow me to disagree with answers like “definitely harder with Wix”

Tim Westlake

If you are serious about running your business professionally, you won’t be making the website on a 3rd party platform.

Alexandra Gorman

This

Geoffrey Claughton

Neither WordPress nor Wix have anything to do with SEO, ranking etc. It depends on many factors like the quality of the code, proper DOM hierarchy, quality content, clean and human friendly layout, TTFB (aka response time). The list is huge, but it has nothing to do with the “tool behind the scenes”.

It is also important to separate concerns as WordPress is a CMS but Wix is not. It is, AFAIK, a website builder.

Kim Honey

So true. The amount of WordPress sites that are shockingly built is crazy. Plugin after plugin. I had one last month with 198 assets loading in, loading in over 2 Mb of JavaScript and wonder why it’s slow.

Danielle Richards

Don’t get me wrong but since the amount of WordPress DIY tutorials out there is huge, so will the quality of websites drop.

I get it that people want to enter the blogging industry or companies want to build their website as cheap as possible and ask the receptionist/ secretary/ intern who has no idea on web development do it. This, however, leads to a zero quality website. It may look stunning because you bought a great looking theme that has so many theme options available from XYZ marketplace, and at such a low price!

That’s where “you get what you pay for” comes into play! You do get what you pay for!

WordPress may be “powerful” due to the high amount of plugins, but those plugins should not exist in the first place!
      There are currently around 4 million e-commerce websites built with WordPress. WordPress isn’t even an e-commerce platform! It is exclusively built for blogging and that’s why the default and only taxonomy is posts. Every other new taxonomy built on top of it to satisfy our needs, derives from the scope, and guess whose site is going to get slower?

I want to add X functionality on my website, ok then, let’s get me a new plugin. Add new hooks on my already-slow website, more scripts I don’t need and reduce the loading time even more!

It is true that we don’t need most of the functionality our plugins give us. I just want a rating plugin but the plugin also offers Y and X options which I don’t need. Will only the code for the rating part load? No! ALL functionalities be loaded (especially if everything is concatenated into a single, minified JS file) which will reduce loading time a little more.

That’s why us, developers, exist. To build websites EXACTLY how the client wants and needs them, adding only functionalities that are actually needed and will be used with no junk code lying around.

But I get it, someone who wants to start blogging, will not hire a developer, especially with our normal rates. They will first try outsourcing websites to get it as cheap as possible and if that doesn’t work, they will go on to build it themselves. As I said, the amount of WordPress DIY blog posts is huge.

Judith Atkinson

I would stay away from 3rd party platforms. With more emphasis on page speed in the Google algorithm many of the enhancements come in the form of code update. The Google Lighthouse tool is a prime example. Without access to the website code you would not be able to optimise much of the criteria it analyses for overall website performance.

Judith Atkinson

Here’s the thing. I am small business owner who only target local customers. I’m in the entertainment business. I don’t have a lot of money for website building so I use Wix. I also don’t have a budget of a $1,000 retainer a month so I learn to do my own SEO because in the past, I used to pay someone but I was not satisfied of his work. Now I got to learn new things and I enjoyed it. But now I’m thinking of expanding, so I need to keep up with SEO.

Terence Rogers

I think you got your answer now 🙂 Why don’t you stick to WIX and do everything possible to nail off-page SEO such as local directories, Facebook, Reviews, Rich Snippets, get some good back-links and get blogging on regular basis?

Dawn Horton

Thanks! That’s what I’m doing now. But still I need to learn more but time is limited now, so I am thinking of hiring someone as a consultant and do a thorough audit of my site and fix things here and there.

Denise Wilcock

If you are going to SEO a Wix try long tailed keywords worked for me on a clients site but tbh WordPress rocks.

David James

Thanks for the tip, I will have to look on long tailed keywords then

Andrew Nokes

WIX is difficult for SEO. If you really want to focus on SEO, I agree with the person above, stay away from site builders and work with a professional. I can help you with that and am very affordable. I do web design, marketing, and business consulting specifically for small businesses.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.