Rankings Dropping

Home Forums SEO Agency Chat Rankings Dropping

This topic contains 32 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by   Colin Hodgson .

• Author

Keith Simpson

Hello, everyone. I really need help. My rankings for my top 3 keywords are dropping and I cannot understand why. The difficulty of the keywords is low (between 9 and 10 out of 100, or “easy”). I’ve made content changes on the two service pages that pursue these keywords and added 1 blog page for those keywords. I suspect it is how I am using my keywords, especially my header tags, within my service pages, and the blog where I pursued these 3 keywords. Clearly, my strategy is not accurate. Anyone able to take a look at my page and/or provide feedback? Or provide an accurate source for placing keywords in content, headers, etc.? Many thanks.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

Install hotjar, and monitor your engagement, also look at time on site, pages per visit as well… keywords is not the be all of rankings.

Judith Atkinson

Thanks, I will do that. Although when I made changes to the content and headers, eventually rankings dropped even more. Nonetheless, user engagement could be the answer. Thanks again!

George Bushell

What’s the site’s URL?

Kate Boulton

wzz.onpointlegalleads.com

The two pages with issues are:
      wzz.onpointlegalleads.com/auto-accidents and
      wzz.onpointlegalleads.com/personal-injury-leads

Nadine Cairns

ok, Are you trying to rank in a specific (local) area or nationally?

Colin Hodgson

Nationally.

Simon Chapman

OK. I will look tomorrow; on the road today.

Sarah Radford

Okay, that’s wonderful. Thanks so much!

John Morrison

Can you resend your second link please; it came up with a 404 error.

Anders Jensen

And FYI: For the personal-injury-page, originally I targeted Personal Injury Leads and also Personal Injury Marketing. I think it is best to pursue only Personal Injury Leads and related (like Personal Injury Attorney Leads, Personal Injury Lawyer Leads, Personal Injury Leads for Sale), and pursue the Personal Injury Marketing on another page (perhaps make a new page or make a blog page).

George Bushell

Do you know your mobile to desktop device breakdown?

Lynne Haskell

I use serpfox and it is set on desktop. Probably need to change everything to mobile?

Simon Chapman

Do you have Google analytics tracking? That will tell you your user breakdown.

Michael Walmsley

I dropped 1 spot on Car Accident Leads in last 24 hours, where I was #1 or #2 for probably a year or more. Personal Injury Leads dropped 11 spots from #6 to #17 in last 24 hours, and I had the same ranking of #1 or #2. Even had a snippet until a couple weeks ago, then I changed title tag from Personal Injury Leads – Personal Injury Marketing | On Point Legal Leads to something like Personal Injury Leads for Attorneys | On Point Legal Leads…then changed it to where it is now.

Nadine Cairns

Also fyi: I have some blogs focused on these pages. There are 5 for Personal Injury Leads and one recently published for that and Car Accident Leads.

Neil Ludlow

Also look at the types of search results your keywords “trigger”. Are you offering content in the format of these types?

John Reyers

Yes, I think that is a part of it definitely. I’ve added needed and valuable content. But I believe how I added it is not good.

Katharine Hodkinson

Did you checkout your competition in-depth before hitting the ‘react’ button? Have they improved their SEO or is it something more local?

Armed with this info, you can then re-evaluate your position and strategy.

Blind chasing of keywords will only eat into your time and could do more harm than good if not thought out.

Good luck!

Kate Boulton

Yes, at least one of my competition has while I only recently have. I knew I needed to get new and improved content up. I think that’s the first issue. But I think I’ve applied keywords and tags incorrectly.

John Morrison

What baseline are you basing that assumption on?

I am unable to do anything today as I am down City but will have a squint for you on Monday and see what’s what IMHO.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

Which assumption are you referring? The one about my competition, new and improved content, and/or applied keywords incorrectly?

Judith Atkinson

Which assumption are you referring? Competition has new content, I need new and improved content, and/or I applied keywords and tags incorrectly?

1. My competition: I the site that took the top spots has content I had not seen, and it is more relevant.

2. Relatedly, my content was the original content (for the personal injury leads page), and it really needs to be updated. It has much lower relevance, I know it needs improvement. I have improved the car-accident-leads page, but that page also needs a couple more topics to really assist visitors.

3. Elijah Everson also was gracious and kind enough to take a look and made some comments about my tags, and seemed to believe they were fine overall. But too many changes occured, including on title tags.

Ultimately, I panicked and made too many changes too fast. I need to hone in on more relevant content (that is not presently on the personal-injury-leads page). There is content on that page that, quite honestly, isn’t very good.

All that said, any additional input is greatly appreciated and I thank you kindly for taking a squint at it. I’m relatively new to this.

John Reyers

Sorry, the baseline I am referring to was the one that was indicating your tags and keywords application.

As mentioned, too many changes can have a detrimental impact on your results.

Be back in touch tomorrow buddy.

Take care.

Michael Walmsley

Hi, getting a 404 on auto-accidents and just running through link #2 now. Your page load speed would benefit from some TLC. Google now hates slow pages. It is hitting the buffers on 3 different baseline tests here mate so whilst I look at the other bits, may I suggest you run a speed test and squeeze some life into it that way first. Got a page at 1.7mb loading in over 5 secs.

George Bushell

Your technical SEO could well be doing you more damage than the content issues you seem to be considering. Which audit tool(s) have you been using?

Michal Kahn

I haven’t used one in a while to be honest. I am certainly open to suggestions.

Sarah Radford

Screaming Frog. Crawls up to 500 pages for free. => https://www.screamingfrog.co.uk/seo-spider/

Anders Jensen

Have sent you a DM with a more detailed breakdown taken from Google’s LH. I tend to use LH & SF more than any other.

Kate Boulton

DM as in direct message? I don’t know the acronyms. My developer will be looking at the page momentarily.

John Morrison

Yes mate, sorry. Direct Message.

John Reyers

My developer is looking at it now, he says it appears helpful. He is compressing images now, one if the items mentioned. Many thanks!

Colin Hodgson

You are more than welcome, my approach for clients is quite simplistic and that is to maximise the content potential performance, first, we need to ensure the technical aspects are fully optimised. Have fun and good luck.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.