Ranking Problems – Yoast

Home Forums White Hat SEO Ranking Problems – Yoast

Tagged: 

This topic contains 21 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by   Andrew Nokes .

• Author

Keeley Moore

None of my pages rank. I can’t seem to get all green lights in Yoast.

Mohammed Sarwar

You can ignore the green light on the Yoast plugin. It is not at all important. If your pages are not ranking then check optimisation, GA and Search Console.

Peter Mellor

GA?

Mark Bennett

Google Analytics

William Greer

Are you referring to your site mslcomputerservice.com?

Try to fix your on-page first or improve it as it’s not good. Like for the homepage for example:

Title – best-computer-repairs-melbourne-florida-onsite-service-7- days -a week
    Meta Description – looking for the best computer repair service? Check out our website for all the services we provide for you and contact us for all your computer needs.

Multiple H1 tags, images need to be optimised, missing alt-text.

Your content on the blogs needs to be improved.

Yoast is just a guide for you what to watch out for but you don’t need to make it all green.

I’m just pointing this out as maybe this is the reason why its not ranking.

Mohammed Sarwar

I think trying to get green lights on Yoast is important because it tells you what you can do to improve your site. You should see a list of items that tells you what can you can improve upon. For me, when I can’t get all green lights, it is generally because I don’t have enough content.

Stella Reynolds

To be honest? I’d not be all that worried about the Yoast scoring stuff… I kick ass for my clients and could care less what it tells me to do.

Peter Mellor

I’m referring to that my on page is very bad

Roger Howard

I’ve been trying to rank and do what they say but….

I’ve been watching a lot of videos and I just don’t understand what I’m supposed to put for meta tags with keywords I’m supposed to use xcetera.

Meta tag slug all the difference of things that you supposed to optimise.
    SEO title title tags I’m starting to learn how to do internal linking and out outwards linking outbound linking.

I guess my biggest problem is I don’t know what keywords that are being ranked on my competitors sites.

William Greer

I know my aunt page needs a lot of work I like the website but it’s not optimised correctly.

Andrew Nokes

If you want to pm me your site and some of your competitors I’ll take a look for you.

Roger Howard

Don’t worry too much about getting all green lights in Yoast though. I use the SEO Framework and all my clients rank just fine.

Adediji Adu

The traffic scores are completely irrelevant (trust me, focusing on them is going to ruin your SEO). Mine are always red because i only use Yoast to add a meta description and title tag. I always get the snippets and i have 400 posts.

Mohammed Sarwar

Yoast is overkill but once you get in the groove of it, they work miracles for our team. If you need any help, be happy to look at it for you.

Roger Howard

Some of these sites that rub scores on your website make me laugh why because I run their URL through it and they also have many problems, lol.

Mark Bennett

Try to check your competitor, why are they ranking?

Peter Mellor

Constructive criticism: Your site is littered with typo’s and grammatical errors. People will read the text in the voice of your business and just like face to face communications, will make a judgement about your level of education based off of your content. As a starting point I would start copying your text, section by section and pasting it into Word so you can get a better idea of what’s wrong. Also, on your ‘services’ page, “Computer Virus” should NOT be a copy/paste off the Wikipedia page.

Again, I don’t want to sound like I’m bashing, I just want to provide you with the things I noticed right off the bat.

Keith Simpson

Yoast should only be used as a guide, it is not a full SEO turn key system on how to do SEO. SEO takes knowledge, Yoast is just for on page based on x signals but as some people mentioned it doesn’t mention many things nor if your writing is bad.

You also need to build authority, get links, get social and lots more.

Roger Howard

Yoast is a great tool. Observe it don’t listen to it. Also remember you can’t rank for everything so pick your keywords carefully. Start with long tail they are easier.

William Greer

Forget Yoast it is good only for a CMS for meta.
    It can be useful is your competition isn’t very strong and you are floating around page 3-4.

Do this to start:

• Main Keywords with secondary and location in meta descr’ and title (2-4)
    • Add up to 1500 more words on the home page
    • 2 kw in H1 (27 kw in H1 & H6)
    • Keywords in H3
    • More keywords in first few sentences and throughout
    • Keywords in order/unorder lists
    • Take the – out of the title tag online use them between keywords or to enhance the look
    • Main keyword in anchor text link and another main kw+location
    • Add one keyword in bold
    • Get the blogs off your home page
    • nofollow all those outbound links e.g. social you don’t have enough juice to share.

Do that and see where you get to.

Mohammed Sarwar

The first thing I do after installing Yoast is to turn off the suggestions and scoring.

Andrew Nokes

It’s not hard.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.