Ranking For High Volume Keyword

Home Forums SEO Mastermind Ranking For High Volume Keyword

Tagged: 

This topic contains 28 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by   Peter Wootton .

• Author

Nicolas Hughes

So one of my sites magically started to rank for a 1.8 million volume keyword. However I do not see any traffic at rank 4X.

Does this prove that you must rank position 1-2 for the 99.999% of traffic OR are there misleading numbers on SEMrush?

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

You have to rank in top 3 to get the most traffic!

It’s a saying in digital world- “The best place to hide a dead body is 2nd page of Google Results!”

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

Sorry but nothing lives on page 2+. It’s just a big dead sea.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

Congrats on ranking for the 1.8 million keyword though.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

I appreciate the input I guess this really proves to me that anything in 2+ has 0 value.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

OK if this ever gets to page 2 or 1, I will update!

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

Position 46? You’re non-existent.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

Like they say “best place to hide a dead body is on page 2 of google”

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

46 might as well be 460 as far as traffic goes.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

Seems so.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

Only SEO’s go past the second page.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

Techies, & research students…

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

Now the hard work actually begins rather than magic.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

Tbh. I dunno what to do next. I don’t wanna disrupt it with any white/black hat spells.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

Build links using white hat techniques and plan for a good 6 months to a year to get there that is a massive term will take time! We have a few we rank on that big and it took a while.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

It’s a great project to have.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

Honestly it’s ranking with 0 backlinks all social signals. Hence the “magic”… I’m going to keep adding more features to the web application hopefully growing the overall weight of the domain. I used to and still play with backlinks but it’s so volatile with me… i’m building an automated social posting thing with it. Maybe google likes that.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

You will never rank page one without back links.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

+1 on the back links – yes build out the content – yes work the social – yes grow the site but back links are still “IT”.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

Is this your own project or your client’s site?

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

Personal project. I am creating dynamic data from the web. So far I’m only ranking for 24 keywords one of which is this. 2 others are in the thousands. It is a 2 month old project.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

The good thing about this is that it may help you get to position 1 for other lower volume keywords that actually produce more traffic.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

You know that’s what I am thinking.. so I am just gonna sit it out since it’s brand new and all.. Still alpha phase. So hopefully I can see those low volumes pop in. I will update.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

You need to look at the actual keyword search intent etc Doesn’t prove anything really without more info – but yes most people won’t go to pos 46.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

Yea I am not sure either, its a one word keyword just happened to pop up i think i got lucky, Its a dynamic 500 page site with almost on the hour data updates, So maybe google is testing me out. I hope I pass the test!

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

Update: The keyword is now at #17 … I have not seen significant traffic but webmaster tools show some.. I will update you guys with the webmasters view in a week when I get the data.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

Right, don’t expect any real traffic till you’re page 1.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

But if you’re page 2 for a million-searches term then you should probably already be ranking page 1 for smaller terms/variations.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

Only one variation.. i thought the impressions would be much higher but those numbers are last weeks I will wait to see what #17 impressions look like.

I think SEMrush data is slightly inaccurate.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.