POP vs OPT

Home Forums SEO Mastermind POP vs OPT

This topic contains 43 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by   Peter Wootton .

• Author

Nadine Cairns

Searched the group already and tested it myself – but those of you who use POP, what are the benefits over other content opt. tools?

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

I find that it provides a centralised place to get the same info I’ve gotten from separate tools in the past. I still use some of those other tools even now. For example, I have a tool that tells me what the HTML structure of a competitor’s page is (ie; all the various heading levels and how they are arranged and grouped up). POP give you this info, but doesn’t present the information in the same way – so I still use that other tool to get idea of how the various headings are organised.

I think this is a lacking feature in POP because POP will sometimes say “you need to add 10 H5s” and the reason it says this is because a top ranking page is using poor heading structure with an H1 with H5s nested directly below without using any H2-H4 tags. In a case like that I ignore what POP says and I might just ensure I have proper H2s that match the competitors H5 count.

I also have a word counter + keyword density tool that I used, which POP essentially gives me the same info. I still sometimes go into my old tool if I want to see a complete breakdown of various terms used (semantic terms) and how often they are used.

Essentially, POP gives me a quick and fairly solid high-level overview. My other tools help me to make more isolated decisions.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

What tool are you using for HTML structure?

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

What tool are you using for your word counter + keyword density?

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

Same here, I would like to know which tool are you using for the semantic keywords please. Thanks.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

I use SEOBook’s Keyword Density tool. It gives you total word count (with and without stop words) and breaks down keyword density into single word, two-word, and three-word combinations so you can see the density of short and longer-tail terms.
      http://tools.seobook.com/keyword-tools/seobook/

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

I don’t have a tool for semantic keywords. I sometimes use Semantic-Link to find ideas, but it’s not a perfect solution.

http://semantic-link.com/

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

I have yet to completely understand how to use POP. A lot of the suggestions conflict with one another.

For example:

Exact Keyword – Meta title leave as is.
    Variations – Reduce the number of variations of keyword in meta title by 6

If you reduce variations in meta title then you remove the entire exact keyword.

72.20% is the best I have gotten

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

Exact keyword is the main priority over the two if there is a conflict.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

Also used it once and they was recommended me to add 102 H2. rofl.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

Did you choose your competitors wisely?

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

I choose McDonald, It’s the competitor of my client.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

Is the same type of site as your client’s? Anyway, if McDonald’s your competitor… That’s a whole different thing. But anyway, you should choose several that are similar to your type of site.

But again, if you’re in an ultra competitive space, I don’t think POP or any other tool can do much.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

I was just kidding mate, I tested it today with a different article and the result looked helpful.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

I shouldn’t be in Facebook after a few beers.

Tool is solid for normal scenarios. We’ve set up an SOP with POP for certain type of content and it is working great. But as you know, SEO is not just about one silver bullet.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

Then I would never be online.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

I have found its usefulness is really only limited by the site you are optimising. For sites where I have a lot of control over headers, formatting, etc I can get it to pass and score high and usually see a rank bump as a result. I have used it on a few sites where there is less control and it’s harder to use but that’s more related to the site then the tool in my opinion.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

Good point though. We all have to deal with restrictions like that now and then. “A bad carpenter” would blame the tool. It is really the right tool for the right job.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

I have gotten local pages to move quite a few spots that we’re moving slowly with link building. I’m only 2 months into using it but so far my best was position 7 to 3 with just using POP.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

A lot of SEO’s use it, its a nice interface, and very cost effective.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

I used Cognitive SEO’s optimisation tool and never saw an increase in ranking, but with POP I see it almost every time I use it unless the site has other problems preventing ranking. I like it because Kyle Roof researches Google’s algorithms and applies that info to POP. Cora relies on 500 factors but a lot more expensive tool.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

Thanks for the info.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

Has anyone here gotten 90% or above with POP? Best I have gotten so far is 83.6%.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

I use this tool often, it is phenomenal. Don’t get hung up on trying to get the perfect score, above 70% is fine. Make small changes, then check ranking in 10-15 days. Fine tune it, because most sites are on-page-over-optimised. Also 5-7 comparisons is about right, and go ahead pull your competitors from Page 2. Only choose direct competitors, not directories. Kyle’s Tip: search your keyword with quotes, pick those sites that moved higher. They likely have stronger onpage signals.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

One of the things that I struggle with is deciding which competitors to insert into the analysis. Local competition that offer the same services vs national competition (listing sites) that rank better than the local competition.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

When in doubt I go with the “kw quotes” search method, and then choose Local sites as the secondary. Pop is not perfect because it’s only looking at On Page factors. A top ranking site might have lots of link juice, even if the on page is crap, so use your best judgement because 20x H2’s is probably a bad thing.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

Don’t get caught up in the score. Ranking improvement is the key. I like to do my tweaks in batches and then watch for movement. It might end up taking months to get to a high score but the ranking was improving the whole time

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

Or you get the rank you need, even with just a low score. That frees up time and budget to focus on other things.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

Page Optimizer Pro works awesome for me.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

You have 15 H1’s.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

Who are you talking to?

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

I sometimes use my competitors site and run POP on theirs just to see their score.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

Super awesome tool that quickly gives you actionable knowledge bombs on how to optimise/improve rankings and traffic to your website.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

I call it mini- Cora. Like the easy to read to do list and the value is undeniable, buy what you need.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

Definitely use POP for optimum on page, Cora for the more difficult ranking.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

Of course. Nothing but respect for Cora. I use both.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

Scored 100% this week, but it’s rare, the only time I’ve achieved it. I’m happy with an “orange” 80%+ but happier with a “green” 90%+ score.

– I tested Kyle’s “Lorem” experiment on my own site’s internal page for a new service I didn’t have time to flesh out. Only image linked to that page from the home page, along with Google Fetch. Then forgot about it. 10 days later, received a call from a local competitor to team up. Curious how he found me, I Googled myself for that service with various phrases, and I was ranked #1 on Local and also triggered KP in another instance.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

The big difference between this tool and many other tools is that the metrics it optimises for have all been single variable tested to be a proven ranking factor.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

Top 3 in our agencies.. you have to choose your competitors and keyword variants properly.. also if you get stuck, put the top 3 into pop against each other and find what is missing.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

How do you choose your keyword variants properly? This is a space I’m exploring quite a bit nowadays. Trying to determine how Google sees content beyond TF-IDF and such.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

The reason POP works is that it finds what is already working for that particular keyword in the SERPS and provides the breadcrumbs to follow to match and slightly exceed the on-page of those ranking sites. It’s not a heuristic tool, it’s a discovery tool.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

You might try surferseo.com. I like the UI a lot better than Cora. I never used POP but maybe I’ll give it a test drive.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

For those that are interested, Kyle and his group added a new “Best Practices” screen. It was MUCH needed I think, as not everyone knows exactly how to approach the data.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.