None Paying SEO Client

Home Forums SEO Mastermind None Paying SEO Client

This topic contains 27 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by   Robert Voss .

• Author

Irene Robb

What do you do if a client cancels their monthly SEO? They will still rank, but you are not gonna get any more money for the work you’ve done.

Peter Mellor

That’s a frustrating spot to be in. I think you just learn from the situation and move on. Your program has to be set up differently to ensure you’re being adequately compensated for the work you already did and then be sure to offer enough ongoing value for them to keep you on retainer.

Paul Hardy

Do you have any examples of how to do it? With Rank and Rent, you still own the property, but if we are just doing SEO for them, I can’t see a workaround.

Paul Davis

In my monthly reporting I typically would show which competitors were up and coming. Rankings can change anytime so showing competitive movement keeps the fire lit. In addition to monthly status reporting I would also do opportunity identification… meaning, where are there offline or complementary online opportunities to market, and then present those to the client every month. Lastly, I offered exclusivity so if a client cancelled I made sure they knew I was free to go do the same thing for one of their competitors.

Nicola Hawkins

If they don’t keep their SEO up then someone will pass them. What you do is find another client, and keep doing so. That way when you lose a client it’s not a big deal. All agencies lose clients. It’s part of the game.

Tracey Harrington

I don’t understand your question, they didn’t “hire” rankings did they? They bought them…

Anders Jensen

Use URL shorteners as a pass through for new clients and if they drop you – delete them – their rankings will drop soon.

Paul Hardy

So you just fuck them over…

Jonathan Hayward

Clients no – that’s just being dishonest. But this is something you should do for rank and rent and pay per lead projects.

Dawn Cotton

I don’t get this mentality “They will still rank, but you are not gonna get any more money for the work you’ve done.” You got paid each month while you were doing actual work, right? Then where’s the problem? It’s not like you are still working for free. They paid for your work and that’s it.

James Bartram

Exactly

Judith Atkinson

Unless your renting a ranking spot.

George Bushell

This is a profitability issue. Most of the work will be at the start of the contract while most of the profit comes later. Therefore, a few PBN links doesn’t hurt your situation.

Peter Campbell

The fact of the matter is this. They hired you to do a service. They never rented anything from you.

If you created a PBN then you should at least let them know what you did and give them the chance to buy or pay for the hosting to keep the rankings up. But the fact they don’t know you used a PBN really sucks.

The deal is a PBN is yours just like say a contractor has his own tools. He’s not going to give you his hammer when his project is done. He’s not going to leave extra supplies like wood or tile behind for you to keep, he’s going to take them to the next job. Same goes here. You keep the PBN for the next website. I think it’s unethical to just drop the rankings though. The client should know what’s going on here.

And for the person who said you do most of the work up front, once again not the clients problem. They are paying for a service that is not getting them anything for the first couple months or more. This is the industry you chose, can’t handle that find something else.

PS, this post had nothing to do with rank and rent so why talk about it and mention it. Rank n rent is not client SEO. It’s rank and rent.

Too many unethical SEO’s out here.

William Yarwood

Most of the advice given to the OP has been petty and downright laughable. Refreshing to see a responsible & professional advice. You get paid for the work you do. You don’t get to roll back your work just because someone breaks up with you.

Anders Jensen

If they have a contract and still not paying then just drop their rankings.

Jansen Smith

Find other clients to work on and use this client as reference. If you did an awesome job I’m sure they are happy to vouch for you.

John Freeman

Don’t sell SEO find something else… life is easier.

Judith Atkinson

But you’ve already been paid for the work you’ve done.

Tracey Harrington

I don’t work on contract. This is why as an SEO you have to protect yourself. All properties should be should be built that you control and any links should be to your properties. You can redirect to the clients properties.
    And if they don’t pay.. they lose link juice and start to fall off. They stop paying… they have a 30 day grace period..then I 86 them.

Sinead McEvoy

Contact their competitors. They’d be crazy not to hire you.

John Morrison

This.

Karen Carter

See how else you can add value. Are there other areas you can SEO them for? Can you run PPC for them? Have you shown them their competition and it will catch up if they stop? Have you asked them why they want to stop?

Colin Hodgson

Amen!

Stephen Rice

Any tips on how to do that?

Dawn Cotton

Keep in contact and once they start getting outranked you will be the first point of contact.

Martin Chaplin

F*ck ’em. Own everything. Own the website. Own the marketing channels. Client don’t pay, client don’t play… but their competition down the street will be happy to lease their success for a price. Stop building your clients assets and start building your own.

Robert Voss

I think you are taking an advertising service mindset here. SEO is an investment that you provide for the client. Temporary results from advertising and the client stealing the Adwords account from you and then the landing Page, that would be reason to have concern for sure. But if you were paid for monthly work for SEO you should be adequately paid for the work you do in a month by month basis, or setup 3, 6, or 12 month contracts with clients.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.