New Website Roadmap

Home Forums WordPress New Website Roadmap

This topic contains 21 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by   Alexandra Gorman .

• Author

Sandra Allon

Hi guys, I’m wondering if one of you has like a ‘roadmap’/to do list for building a website (so you won’t forget anything)

Stella Reynolds

First

Debra Fuller

I snorted, is this still a thing?

Debra Fuller

I just used it to follow the post lol

Debra Fuller

Just click the “notify me of new comments” link like a civilised person.

Debra Fuller

Never lol

Gary Griffiths

Cross-posted

Gary Griffiths

This would be great for the learning curve…

Gary Griffiths

There are some on Google, you will find them if you did a search

Kara Corr

Yes that be true but personally as a newbie I value recommendations from established folk with lots of experience.

Kara Corr

My experience comes from trying, Google and YouTube were not around when I started.

Kara Corr

The Astra theme blog has one – https://wpastra.com/website-launch-checklist/

William Trimble

Appreciated 🙂 I have realised something, I got to where i am through many articles and videos.

I did not save and make a library out of what i learned as I was not aware that the practices (and order of doing things) were the best but we plod on and learn from trying and failing.

what i would love to have is each step (like step 1 install WP 2, install all plugins, 3 build navbar header, 3 create sections (order of layout styling a good one) so on and so forth… I feel the need to have this for pure organising and building good design step habits..

I have only done one website and now this is where i feel I failed. I want it to be second nature.. Hope that makes sense.

William Trimble

Every one has there own methods, I would create your own based on how you like to do things, and you can add to it over time as you do more.

What’s the link to the website you built?

William Trimble

I have PM’d you

Roelof Kramer

That would be so cool to have from someone you know and trust.

Roelof Kramer

Yep.
    1. I copy my boilerplate installation from my Backup Folder to my Development Folder. This includes my basic plugins (ACF, CF7, WP Migrate DB).
    2. Rename the folder the same name as the project. xxx.com/projectname
    3. Create a new DB and Edit the config file with the DB name (user and pass on all dev sites are the same as there is 1 user with access to all DB’s).
    4. Edit the style.css file with the new Project Name so the theme matches the name of the project.
    5. Edit the screenshot.png file with the name of the project.
    6. Run the install.
    7. Add the required template files and functionality that are outside of the core WP install. Including taxonomies and post types
    8. Add the sitemap and ACF fields (if required).
    9. Add the content.
    10. Run the WP and Plugins Updates.
    11. Add themes and plugins to GitHub.
    12. Migrate the site up to the server
    13. Install WP Pusher to the live site and link the plugins and themes from GitHub.

Something like that anyway.

Roelof Kramer

Gotta love WP Pusher though.

Alexandra Gorman

A few days ago, I created a new group for WordPress Project Management and I am in the process of developing a WordPress Development Life-cycle. If you’d like to join our group, here is a link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/WordPressPM/

Alexandra Gorman

Why spam this page with that tho

Alexandra Gorman

I don’t think this qualifies as spam since what he appears to be looking for a is a project plan (to-do list) to make sure you don’t forget anything. That’s also the purpose of a development life-cycle. My post was in direct response to his question so I’m pretty sure it doesn’t qualify as spam.

Alexandra Gorman

Having only started website design last month, I’m still creating and fine-tuning my “road map” for that.

But for the core parts of my business (consulting, CRO, and copy-writing) then I already have them mapped out as much as possible.

I use frameworks for the big picture view so I can quickly start to come up with a strategy and explain the process to the client.

Then I use systems, essentially recipes for the strategies and tactics, for the implementation.

Finally I use checklists when I’ve finished to make sure I’ve not forgotten anything.

And I’d highly recommend doing something similar and starting asap. It’ll make your life much easier, reveal gaps in your knowledge, save time, ensure you don’t miss anything out, and help you deliver a more consistent and polished finished product.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.