New SEO Adviser Having Issues With Existing Clients.

Home Forums SEO Mastermind New SEO Adviser Having Issues With Existing Clients.

This topic contains 11 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by   Matt Bowski .

• Author

Matt Bowski

Hey guys, I’m working with a few clients and as a newbie, I’m facing an interesting issue:

> My client already has a website so I offer to revamp it with an SEO strategy.

> Here’s the thing: the website was created with a digital agency (like most cases). In order to do technical SEO and on-page optimization, I sometimes need to work with the agency since the webmaster belongs to the company.

> It can lead to various complications: locked features, lack of information, unjustified bills…

> With WordPress, for example, there are agencies who block access to plugins which is problematic for any SEO project. I thought it was crazy at first but now it looks like common practice.

I just wanted to share this although I imagine you already know about this. Since most of you have experience.

How do you deal with this challenge? I’m starting to think that an SEO project requires building a website from the ground up since some digital agencies intentionally limit customers’ access.

I guess I just wonder how to take on this kind of issue.

Jackie Worsley

You need to find out who owns the copyright for the website. In most cases it is the client. They can then do what they want with it.

Matt Bowski

I’ll keep that in mind if another issue comes out. Thanks for replying!

Irene Robb

Direct the client on what to request for….what you need to get the work done.

James Hubbard

It’s not that complicated. You tell the client that they need to tell the agency to give you the credentials you need. If they don’t want to, you move on to the next client.

Ann Mawson

Yes. To echo what Mike said, and you may not want to hear this, but if the ad agency is going to do the “you can’t play in our sandbox” type of thing, I would walk.

This can get really problematic if you are in a spot where you essentially have to ask permission from the agency.

Matt Bowski

If they’re blocking access to certain plugins and functionalities, it could be that the site was developed on a multi-site WP platform, where there’s a Master Admin for all the child sites. I ran into this once before and had to let the client go because it was a huge pain in the ass and not worth it.

Matt Bowski

Before getting into involved conversations with the client I run the main url though https://whatcms.org to see which cms was used, They have 423 cms in their data base so if it cannot find the cms (and it happens often) then I tend to steer gently away! I can also find where the site is hosted too,

Matt Bowski

I have a similar story with a ‘host’ who is just a dude reselling. He gets nasty now and then, I have taken a backup of the clients website in case he decides to pull the pin at any time. I kind of expect it to end bad.

Jackie Worsley

up front tell them. what is required for hand over – that’s just the truth of the matter, if they cant hand over certain ‘things’ then it may not be worth trying to do a half ass job.

Matt Bowski

lots of cc emails. The agency normally settles once you build a relationship.

Matt Bowski

In the future, you might not wanna take on clients who don’t have full control of their assets.
    It’s a pain

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.