Nervous SEO Clients?

Home Forums SEO Agency Chat Nervous SEO Clients?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by   Colin Hodgson .

• Author

Ann Mawson

Does anyone ever have issues with trying to on-board a client who just keeps asking questions, pushing back and then gives you emails like below:

“Sorry, I just need some re-assurance that the money will be worth it.

I think if you have a few clear case study examples of new businesses where you have boosted their rating significantly in 1 month to 2 that would be great.

Then I can see clear evidence of past successful campaigns ”

This is after I have done a number of hours dealing with late note phone calls, gone through what we were going to work on in a very detailed manner.

Oh, also he knows so many people the he can refer to me….

Benjamin Donner

Personally I wouldn’t spend time and energy with him. I like to qualify the client and make sure he won’t cause stress. That’s kind of important.

If you are really good, others will fight to get you. Don’t let his kind to pull you down.

And I don’t believe a word about “all the people he knows…” They usually nowhere to be found when the time comes.

But of course, you know you the best. Don’t listen to me. Do what you feel is right for you.

Lynne Haskell

Oh I agree with you 100% just frustrated that’s all. It’s even more frustrating when my company is new and he obviously is trying to milk it. Expectations were set at the start and now he has just gone completely crazy. I’m trying to find the nicest way possible to tell him this this won’t work.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

The best way to tell him that is “I don’t think this is a good fit for both”. The thing is at this point you are not qualifying him he is qualifying you and he’s not convinced.

Neil Ludlow

Could be. But if he is not convinced after “number of hours of late night phone calls”, then it is better to end the agony.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

That “referral” card has been dealt to me in the past. At the end none fulfilled. I did a good job for them. They did not come through on their promises. I do not fall for such anymore.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

Obviously they are not sure of your value and haven’t quite warmed up to you. Maybe doing some simple in person education on things they should be doing themselves would help put these issues at bay and let them warm up to you.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

I’ve spent 7 hours in total so far educating them in person over everything regarding new websites, SEO, expectations and case studies of our work.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

Ouch sounds like might not be the right client for you.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

Run, run and don’t look back!

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

What type of business is it?

Benjamin Donner

Food Tours

Neil Ludlow

Perhaps the client has a high risk-aversion. If possible, you could propose him a “starter mini package” (with low effort for you & measurable short-term result for the client). Usually, when this type of client sees results, they become very loyal.

Lynne Haskell

I did with our $1000 for $200 as a taster for him to see the value

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

You going to show him your $1,000 value for $200? You just showed you don’t value your own services.

When I dropped prices (Back, way back in the days) it always like this “Well, let’s drop email marketing and your blog’s content. This will reduce your marketing plan by $400”

I understand the importance of getting clients – But there is way better and easier way to get clients that are already spending.

Another thing – These clients are expecting results in 1-2 month? This is not 2001 anymore.

SEO today is not about simply doing SEO. It’s about building trust and authority in Google’s eyes. 1-2 m

Colin Hodgson

It will happen. Unfortunately, there are too many low quality agencies in the industry that have created negative experiences for clients. Case studies are a great way to help clients understand the quality of work you complete. Also, basic expectation setting is key in any business relationship. Make sure they fully understand the process and time it takes to do things the right way. Transparency is key.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.