Moving Hosting Provider

Home Forums WordPress Moving Hosting Provider

This topic contains 16 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by   Sinead McEvoy .

• Author

Elizabeth Renwick

Hi.

I have my site on BlueHost (cringe) and for obvious reasons I want to move to some other hosting provider in about 2 weeks or so. I don’t have a SSL certificate at the moment and I don’t want to pay like $25 to get one from BlueHost.

I want to run advertising campaigns and I don’t want the users to see the ‘Unsecure’ version of my website when they land on it. So, I was thinking of getting SSL through CloudFlare.

My question is: If I get it from CloudFlare for the time being, can I revert back to the SSL from one of the hosting providers (such as SiteGround etc) as they provide free SSL too?

Or should I just stick with CloudFlare even after I move to a different hosting provider with free SSL?

What are the suggestions?

I’ve heard that getting SSL from CloudFlare gives one some trouble with emails. Not sure if that is true.

William Souter

Oh yes, do the CloudFlare for now, then when you are ready to change hosts, you can easily switch.

Kate Gordon

Can you explain how I can switch later?

William Souter

Why is BlueHost bad? I was recently looking for a hosting platform and they were getting some of the best reviews for speed and customer support. Am I missing something?

Kate Gordon

I think he was not happy about the $25 per domain for SSL.

William Souter

I thought they offer free SSL?

Kate Gordon

I’m mainly quite unimpressed because the site doesn’t load quickly and the customer support really isn’t that good. I stay in India and that’s what I’ve experienced here. Maybe the guys at your location will offer a different experience.

And of course, any decent host nowadays offers free SSL and other features. I don’t see BH offering any of those.

William Souter

They get the best reviews because they give the best payouts to affiliates, lol.

William Souter

They pay out $65 for every referral. No wonder people are dropping Bluehost links left and right.

Caroline Scott

haha yeah man, the guys who rank in the top few slots for Blue Host Reviews / Hosting Reviews make 10’s of thousands in commission each month.

Jenny Ting

Jesus! That’s a full-time career in itself just promoting a company. Doesn’t help that Bluehost is now a “WordPress recommended host”.

Caroline Scott

I think Neil Patel is the bloke who is one of the guys making bank from them.

Keith Millar

Just because I know someone is bound to say “hey, Bluehost isn’t so bad!”:

From my own personal experience, I just helped move my sister’s site off of Bluehost. It was taking a stupid long time to load, on desktop, on super fast WiFi. It was a super lean blog too, since she didn’t use a page builder and did everything in the TinyMCE editor. She had the twenty sixteen theme installed and just a few plugins for things like analytics, GDPR and what have you. Nothing super heavy.

Still slow. So yeah, it was definitely the host.

Caroline Scott

At least in India, they have stopped their affiliate program because every second person would become an affiliate and promote it. They have the one of the highest affiliate commissions, so not a surprise why one wouldn’t want to promote it. Even though their own blogs must be hosted on some other decent hosting provider!

BH doesn’t offer SSL, no CDN, no daily backups, bad customer support…No real reason why someone should stick to it. Or any other EIG owned company.

BH is more so BS…

Maurice Sweeting

I got a free hosting plan at NameCheap last Black Friday.

I’m still there ( with other hosting plan) but with every hosting plan you get 50 free Comodo Positive SSL certificates.
    I bought so many domains last year on Black Friday from them.

Stuart Erskine

Immotion hosting give free SSL for life, yearly plan is reasonable, if I’m not wrong 86 or 96 USD.

Sinead McEvoy

We do not use CloudFlare for SSL only DNS. Let’s Encrypt – should more than adequate for SSL

As for hosting we use Digital Ocean.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.