Matching Meta Title & H1

Home Forums White Hat SEO Matching Meta Title & H1

This topic contains 9 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by   Giacomo Pieri .

• Author

Susan Newman

Can having the SEO title and page name/H1 be the same have a negative effect on SEO?

My site has dropped in search results by nearly half since a year ago and I’m trying to really get in and update things that might help.

It is in a smaller niche so ‘’m not sure what happened. I was just reading that title and H1 should not be the same.

Giacomo Pieri

It should not be an issue.

Siobhan Newman

No. That’s not the problem. Although I would advise anyone to take advantage of the extra space an H1 offers and put in a close variant of the primary key phrase.

More than likely blog content cannibalising internal pages.

That usually does it!

Nicola Hawkins

Yeah I didn’t think that would be the reason necessarily but hoped it might help. What do you mean by blog content cannibalising internal pages?

Christopher Hammond

Never mind. I just looked it up. I think you may be right! My website is about Soy Candle Making and I can see where there are some key phrases used on multiple pages even if I wasn’t trying to target the same phrase. I never thought of that. Guess I have some work to do!

Alexandra Gorman

Great stuff!

One page/one theme

David James

I always thought it was best practice to do that. I think it also makes for a better experience too for the users. Instead of being shocked that they were taken to a place with a different title.

Syed Shah

I’m not meaning a completely different title. Something very close but worded just a bit different to make use of more keyword variation is what I’ve read. I’m no expert though, this is just from some research.

Roelof Kramer

A close variant is not a ‘different title’

Example

Meta Title

Signed Ireland Football Memorabilia

H1

Signed Irish Football Team Memorabilia

That kind of close phrase

Probably better shorter though!

Giacomo Pieri

When did it start dropping – you probably got hit by one of the updates.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.