iThemes Security Plugin Under Attack

Home Forums WordPress iThemes Security Plugin Under Attack

Tagged: 

This topic contains 11 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by   Stella Reynolds .

• Author

Anthony Andrews

Question: I have the iThemes security plugin for one of my client sites and it’s under regular attack. I get email notifications multiple times a day telling me about hackers trying to get in with “admin” username, and also trying to access files that don’t exist. Is this normal? Should I be worried this particular site is being even more targeted than other sites?

• This topic was modified 1 month ago by   Peter Wootton.
    • This topic was modified 1 month ago by   Peter Wootton.

James Chalmers

Same me. And I Changed Login URL

James Chalmers

Wow. Not good!

James Chalmers

iThemes > Settings > Advanced > Hide Backend

Jenny Ting

and iThemes > Settings > Local Bruce Force Protection > Automatically ban “admin” user

Jenny Ting

Yup, I did that already. I never use admin as my login username on websites. I just get the email notifications of people trying it… like 4 times a day or more

Jenny Ting

I may have to consider hiding the back-end… I’m in the website a lot though and so is my client

Jenny Ting

If the website uses the default login url, you will receive the above message repeatedly. Unless you turn off notifications in iThemes, or change your login url. I have managed nearly 50 websites, and received more than 100 emails per day ….

Keith Millar

You only have to worry about those which get through – and I have never had one get through with iThemes Security.

Keith Millar

and block 404 request

Keith Millar

Yes, turn on “ban admin” option. And reduce your notifications to a digest. This is basically iThemes Security doing its job.

Stella Reynolds

Yes, it’s normal. Also, suggest banning ‘admin’ and changing your login URL (like the others above). But those are bots, they just roam the internet trying to get into anything they find from wp-login.php. Bots are an unfortunate reality of life. Changing the login URL gets rid of a lot of the very basic bots.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.