Interview Questions For Head Of SEO.

Home Forums SEO Agency Chat Interview Questions For Head Of SEO.

This topic contains 16 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by   Peter Wootton .

• Author

Trevor Anthony

If you were interviewing candidates for the Head of SEO for your company – what questions would you ask?

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

I’d pick one of the guys that currently work for me and hire junior/mid.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

This is great too, but sometimes a fresh perspective is the answer.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

That’s a tough one because it all depends on your strategy/desired results/industry. If you don’t have one, ask them to summarise what they would do… But Personality Q’s first. Can he/she lead? Will they work with the other current team members well? Then skills/proof – Have they done anything similar and in the same industry. Skills can be taught, personality cannot.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

I second that, personality wins over everything, the rest one can mould into perfection.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

If only people know this.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

My question would be: What do you know about the “Last 5 Google search engine algorithm updates”?

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

I’d ask them about their experience (if any) in retrieving lost rankings.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

Try to see how creative and analytical he/she is when it comes to SEO. The best way to know is asking him about their past work, what strategy they implemented, why they chose that route, output, etc.

P.S: A person with go-getter attitude can become a good asset for your organisation.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

One idea could be to give them certain scenarios and ask them for their solutions.

A few examples:

One day we lose 40% of our major keyword rankings. What are the first 5 things you do?
    We move into a new market/area/vertical where we have zero footprint. Give a rough outline of your process and time frame to get us XXX amount of visitors a month.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

I like this. We do require candidates to do a brief audit of one of our sites and then present their top three recommendations in a 10 min presentation.

But I like this idea a bit better.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

You could throw any number of scenarios at them. I would think this would give you a pretty good idea of the way they think/operate even if they don’t get everything exactly right.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

1. Knowledge of your vertical?

2. Experience with businesses your size? Some people are scrappy and entrepreneurial (good for young growing companies) and some need a team around them with systems to perform (administrator).

3. Leadership/mgmt abilities if they will have underlings.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

What would you do if a site suddenly took a dive in sales/conversions?

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

What would you do if we want to increase revenue without building more back links nor creating more content.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

How would you setup a system of accountability to measure progress with our clients and hold your team accountable for business/client goals?

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

Do some proper research and find suitable candidates and just ask “what will it take for you to come here and head up our SEO team?”. Ask your consultants for prospects and also why they think person x is a suitable candidate.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.