Images & Indexing

Home Forums White Hat SEO Images & Indexing

This topic contains 13 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by   David Ranson .

• Author

Richard Grayson

I have a question regarding images and indexing.

My website contains a lot of images and they are of course, optimised with keywords inside alt tag, because I want them to appear in Google Image results, as it brings quite a lot of traffic.

But lately I’ve been seeing more and more back-links from what appears to be Spammy image directories, which scraped my photos and are now back-linking back to my site. Since all of these have Ahrefs DR from 1 to 10 at max, I obviously don’t want them, since they only harm my back-link profile.

I don’t want to submit disavow file to Google weekly, so I’m looking for a better solution.

So, to the question.
    Does anyone know how to stop these?
    Like some robots.txt bot prevention, all except search engine ones?
    Or should I give up traffic from Google Images and entirely block image indexing in order to stop these?

Thanks for any ideas and tips.

Jenette Bush

Watermark them. Won’t stop it but at least you’ll get credit.

Stephen Hankinson

I get credit. But I don’t want one.. at least not from them.

Margaret Clifford

I’m confused. You’re complaining that your images are being linked to? That’s what drives image rankings. If all the other sites scraping them are linking back to you as the source Google knows what the source is. This is a good thing.

Margaret Clifford

I don’t take it as good thing, since they are a bunch of low value links, wouldn’t these be considered spammy and lower my rankings?

James Hubbard

ahrefs considers them low value. To be fair Google doesn’t give a crap what ahrefs thinks. Have you been losing traffic? If not then there probably is no problem. But in my experience the links to images help to solidify and rank the original source. I would leave it alone unless you’re losing traffic. If you use disavow when you don’t need to you could hurt your own traffic.

Nicola Baillie

I agree with ahrefs/Google connection, but that DR in UR scores can be useful to understand the importance of the domain, as it was in “the old days” with PR score.
      Since I got these back-links, my ranks for certain keywords have fallen from page 1 to 3 and of course, that has massive impact of the organic traffic, so I’m looking for the ways to solve this, to see if these are the issue or if something else is.

Nicola Baillie

Try only disavowing links for one of the keywords/pages and see what happens.

Benjamin Donner

According to Googlers, Penguin is in the algo now and does NOT demote a page for bad back links.

Rather, it simply negates any value that might otherwise have resulted. So, bad back links, unless excessive, no problem. Accept the links, as they may actually drive some traffic your way, and that’s people, who can buy. Unlike PageRank and the Gbot that never buys.

Check for attribution for any original images you’ve shot. If it matters so much to you, then insist on credit or that the photos be removed. If that does not work, and your site, and the thievery, occur in the U.S. use the DMCA tool in GSC to submit URLs stolen copyright content. Google will de-index pages, often in less than 24 hrs.

Ann Bentley

This is spot on.

Keith Simpson

Just remember to notify and try to get the thieves to comply first, yourself, before invoking DMCA.

Keith Simpson

I’ll still test with one keyword by removing them, but keeping the rest, we’ll see how this goes.

David Ranson

Make sure and follow up with us with what you learn! That’s the thing about SEO. test, test, test. I’m curious what you learn.

David Ranson

Will do.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.