How Did You Start Learning SEO

Home Forums SEO Mastermind How Did You Start Learning SEO

This topic contains 13 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by   Peter Wootton .

• Author

Sara Grant

New here, I’d like to hear some stories about how all of you got started learning SEO.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

I started a blog during college and taught myself SEO through tutorials and trial and error, and then later got a job at an SEO agency in Seattle.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

I started with on the job, testing and learning. When the job wouldn’t go further, despite results, I joined a series of agencies before founding my own.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

I did some research on SEO (no testing) and then created an ad on craigslist. Within a day I got my first client who I worked with for a few years – and used her site to teach myself the basics. Then a lady that ran a marketing firm who needed SEO for clients found me and from there she threw work my way. But this was the old, easy days of SEO. But now I don’t feel like I know anything.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

I started as a copywriter and naturally, was told to write for SEO. Got a job as a content manager and from there, found more interest in the tech side of things rather than the writing (even though I still write). Now I run my own SEO agency

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

Started with micro niche sites and single page affiliate sites (back when those still made money). Ten years later I can’t escape please send help.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

I started writing blogs and eventually had to optimise them, in a small service industry based marketing company when I was 19. Slowly learned SEO from the internal marketing teams until I opened a business with my brother. I had to write content, manage social strategy and write meta descriptions/optimise content for the first two years in my career. I find a lot of people start in the web design or content writing. The obsession with results and numbers helped me though…Now I work for an agency and its quite fulfilling

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

$5k investment learning how to build an eCommerce site and a 1 year mentor ship.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

I wrote content including a guidebook for bloggers. Moved to SEO as it was a natural transition. Now have a team of 15+ with 20+ clients.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

I started learning SEO b/c I wanted to work on my own business site but couldn’t afford to hire out. I found an expert and we did a business trade for a while. Then later, I took an online course from UC Davis and have been addicted ever since. It’s not my main gig but I make enough from it to keep telling myself that it’s okay to spend more time learning.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

Was fresh outta school, with honours in web development, seo wasn’t even on my radar. Started my first gig as an intern at a web shop and the seo lead took me under his wing. People always asked, “How do I get to the top of Google?” So I started asking serious questions to our main guy, eventually he gave me his “black book” a hard drive filled with seo training (seobook, Bruce clay, Eric ward, moz, Alexa) all really cool stuff. 15 years later I own my own agency and the rest as they say is history.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

2003 I got a job as the webmaster of a baby formula and drug company. I don’t even remember if there was any real guidance back then. It was just copy Nestle and Mead Johnson but amp up all the metrics and focus the content of what we now call “intent”. Ended up beating the hell out of them on 1/10th the budget. Compiled a list of over 2M moms, diabetics, etc. Won “Employee Of The Year” because digital was driving so many moms to stores with our printable coupons. I basically became the most hated man in the company.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

The internet was young and I felt and noticed the silos and perceptions of site design and development didn’t make sense and this was my start in SEO.

Peter Wootton
    Keymaster

I opened a school and realised teaching SEO that I know fek all and needed to double down lol.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.