Hourly Commitment – SEO Contract

Home Forums SEO Agency Chat Hourly Commitment – SEO Contract

This topic contains 22 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by   Peter Wootton .

• Author

Nicola Baillie

When doing an SEO proposal, do you write out exactly what they will get in terms or hours and services? We usually put X amount of hours as the strategy differs constantly but we have a client that wants us to detail every point of what they get per month.

Nadine Cairns

Control freak clients are very costly in time and follow-ups and usually negotiate every penny. My experience has taught me to either buffer up these clients or leave them to the inexperienced.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

Which was my thought process but at the same time we are new and need clients in general. I can’t imagine this client will take anything over $600 AUD a month and will want 40 hours but torn between taking it so we have some revenue coming in or just walking away.

Kate Boulton

40h per month? that’s 15$/h…what’s the hourly minimum wage in Australia?

Sarah Radford

2 cans of Fosters.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

Here in Canada hourly wage minimum is roughly 13$/h and a certified seo/sea senior freelance practitioner like myself charges approx. 90$ to 120$ and up per hour but like I said, I don’t believe in hourly rates… We generate so much measurable value and return on investment to clients that they know they’ll get their money’s worth.

Michael Walmsley

I didn’t mean that he would get 40 hours per month for $600 a month, but more so that would be his expectation. We charge at $80 – $100 an hour, but thinking we need to change the way we work around this.

Lynne Haskell

I base everything on deliverables, not time. They get x number of back-links, x number of blog posts, etc.

Anders Jensen

I would cap and track the hours for sure, otherwise, you are going to go way over. Track your hours so you can show you clients the time that was wasted like answering their emails, phone calls, etc.

Sarah Radford

That’s exactly my approach on the hourly wage part.

Katharine Hodkinson

Sorry to ask, but, can you help me with any examples of what would be the best method of tracking time? Any tools you may know of?

Nadine Cairns

I use a combination of Toggl and Asana for my time tracking and logging my tasks. I find this is the best way to keep track of everything that we do for clients on a monthly basis.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

Hi! Thanks for the reply. I have used Asana, first time I’ve heard of toggle. I’ll check it out. Thank you!

Judith Atkinson

PayDirt is a tool you can use.

Neil Ludlow

Thank you! I’ll give it a look.

Colin Hodgson

Try to focus on results, at the end of the day that’s what clients want. If you can show them the value of what you bring to the table, you can charge them whatever you want.

Sarah Radford

I agree but this particular client has been harassing me about his site not showing on Google and why I haven’t been able to achieve that while I was doing the initial on-boarding audit…

Michael Walmsley

I agree but this particular client has been harassing me about his site not showing on Google and why I haven’t been able to achieve that while I was doing the initial on-boarding audit…

Anders Jensen

What kind of timescale are we taking about here?

Judith Atkinson

It sounds like you weren’t able to set proper expectations from the get go. Not sure what your business model is like, but I don’t provide any deliverables, just a link to track their rankings. For me, there’s really nothing to report since I don’t build low quality links anymore, mostly just super high quality PBNs.

John Morrison

Hours vs Results (KPI) vs Value it’s a long debate in digital. Estimation it’s an art. I always my general hour rate in the agency with a decent margin. I always track time on projects to give more and more accurate time and, of course I always add the value. Keep promise on KPI, estimate the time, add value for what we provide, this is our recipe. And, in your case do you charge for project management? If, no you should do.

Kate Boulton

We always charge a set-up (especially if in involves PPC), than a monthly retainer based on goals. Quality content (at least 2 long form articles) included monthly, but than we tier out the strategy based on the budget. Every month we hit a combination of video, citations, back-links, GMB, social media broadcasting, parasite build-out/ tiers (or Jacks), etc.

Peter Wootton
      Keymaster

When you do the proposal for a client, do you outline where your time goes each month as a split? Trying to figure out if I need to change my proposal template to specify what gets done each month for each job, or if I should stick to my current “X hours per month and the work will be outlined in our on-boarding digital marketing strategy”

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.