Google Medic Update

Home Forums SEO Mastermind Google Medic Update

This topic contains 29 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by   Simon Scott .

• Author

Justine Fordham

After Google Medic Update, How are you all addressing

– Expertise
    – Authority
    – Trust

For Health Niche sites , especially if you are not any healthcare professional

Jonathan Hayward

It’s not specific for health niche. But the thought of this question is good. I’m following.

Jonathan Hayward

Agreed….i faced this for health niche so i mentioned but yup all other niches which got affected also apply.

Jonathan Hayward

As far I have heard and seen, social signals are damn important.

William Greer

No, that social signals that we usually do… It’s like social accounts of the authority… like the doctors profile and his connections and accolades, published researches and corresponding testimonials of his patients.

Yet Many imitations of medical professionals are not working.

William Greer

Is that the case?

Barnaby Martin

Yes.

Barnaby Martin

New thing to me!

Barnaby Martin

Put any health related niche site in similar web and you will see the traffic tanked from 1st August in most of them…and then do your due diligence of their author profile, also compare it with the authority sites like Healthline, Lybrate etc.

Lybrate is curated by real doctors with real author profile… so it’s not affected.

Stephen Dalby

What about Dr axe ? your point is wrong i can prove you with many other websites where author is real doctor.

Social signals are useless for me now. google + dead, twitter share dead. Facebook reach dead. I am seeing a lot of website on top having negligible social signal.

People now a days don’t want to share these links on their timeline.

Stephen Dalby

I did not state any fact ….It’s a hazy observation at present….I already stated “Yet Many imitations of medical professionals are not working.”….Moreover Dr. Axe is a known Pseudo doctor endorsing alternative medicines and had to be penalised for his various declarations on modern medicine….
      I request you to please present the sites you mentioned for us to do the due diligence as well and help us come up with a near perfect consensus of what might be working.Now even real doctors might be missing the citations in the site…so would be great if you can state the websites..

Peter Cronin

Still have not solid point but the EAT fact , I will present sites soon.

James Chalmers

Great… let’s work together and come up with a solid manifesto and collective observation… This will help us all to make our sites Update proof.

Alexandra Gorman

Yepp, spot on. Dr Axe might have the qualification of a “Dr” but he promotes pseudo garbage for the most part. The interesting question is how Google figured that out considering his perceived “authority” and “expertise”.

Geoffrey Claughton

Dr. Axe deserves attention for manual penalty….moreover Dr. Josh Axe, DC, DNM, CNS is a doctor of chiropractic, certified doctor of natural medicine (not modern medicine approved by FDA) and clinical nutritionist with a passion to help people eat healthy and live a healthy lifestyle.

Geoffrey Claughton

Ah that explains it. I’m glad these charlatans are being hit.

Kim Honey

DC, DNM,CNS are low profile non recognised roadside qualifications and most of these are crafted to make fool of people.

MD, DM ,MS,etc- are like real medical qualifications.

You see less surgeons have blogs…If any real surgeon endorses your blogs and puts his surgery accolades, it should do great…

Dr Axe might not even have seen a real complex surgery in his whole life.

Danielle Richards

Killed it before medic update. Killing it even harder now.

Have people that actually know what they’re talking about write great, informative articles.

Stop spamming ads, affiliate shit and what not over your pages. Medic update was a quality update (think back to Florida & Panda…)

Judith Atkinson

We are seeking a solution here… Yes, quality content is 100% required but Google is seeking something extra in the form of EAT….

Spamming is absolute no no.

Terence Rogers

Did you even read what he wrote? The solution is there.

Siobhan Newman

Read it and did you read my question…. I wish someone to be more pragmatic and explicit in manufacturing the EAT in affiliate sites.
      This post is to find out what everyone is doing to mitigate the risk of algo updates and what’s working and what’s not.

Dawn Horton

We were smashed by that update too and we are in Finance. Have all anonymous authors. Thinking that attributing our money content to verifiable experts in Finance may help us gain some trust. Thoughts?

Denise Wilcock

I’ve had people tell me that using real author names is a quality signal now. They may not even have to be real – just a name vs. like, “team” or “editor” or “sitename”.

In September we started using our writers’ names on one of our health related sites and with only a few links built over the past 45 days we saw nearly a double in traffic.. I will say it was only from 5k to almost 10k but I think using the writers’ names did help given the low volume of links built and competitiveness of the pages that started to rank. But, I have no hard evidence.

I think overall it is something that makes sense to do from a human point of view as far as credibility goes, but I haven’t seen anybody do research on 1. whether people care or even notice an author’s name 2. any hard data on if Google truly is using authorship as a quality signal.

If you think back to the day of Google Authorship, that didn’t go very well for them lol

David James

Yeah authorship didn’t work for sure. But the quality rater guidelines mention specifically medical or financial shit written by anonymous or made up people. So I think it can’t hurt to try. Might make a nice case study or something. We lost about half of our traffic on those updates. And all I can think of is that my content is financial in nature and all written anonymously.

Andrew Nokes

Ah, now that is interesting.. I didn’t know that!

I think you’re right, definitely worth a try. I know your content is great… maybe that’s all it would take.

Colin Hodgson

Yeah I’m working on this as we speak. Hope to get all our money pages attributed to legitimate and verifiable people with linked links in author profiles.

Christopher Hammond

Let me know how it goes!

Simon Scott

No offence, but I think the premise of your question is flawed.

“How are you all imitating/manufacturing E-A-T?”

Instead of figuring out how to manipulate it, why not just follow the guidelines? You’re going to spend more effort figuring out how to get around this one than to just follow it.

Simon Scott

The intent of the question is How do we address decrease in traffic due to the update that has happened in August-September…
      Now to be real , we need to be a real doctor to start with any health sites…Again this can be flawed for natural home remedies based sites…Modern medicine doesn’t endorse such home remedies and In India , doctors license gets cancelled if they are found to endorse such home remedies…Now to cite a real doctor to endorse such home remedies is not possible….Now we can catch hold of Naturopathy/Ayurvedic physicians,which are not really recognised and Google doesn’t give much weight-age to such qualifications in natural remedies….even for natural remedies if a Doctor in modern medicine is endorsing , Google would give a higher ranking, which is not pragmatic [my personal observation]…For example :lybrate.com

Simon Scott

One of my writing clients went from 1st to 8th after the medic update. More quality content and back links than our competitors but it is almost certainly an EAT issue. All blog posts are posted by “site name” and the about page says zero about who runs the company and what qualifications/expertise they have. No reviews of their services etc. It’s essentially a faceless company even though they’ve worked with massive companies like the NHS etc. I think it was Ben above who alerted me to this actually in my last post to the group. It prompted me to audit the site manually again and it’s pretty much spot on. One of my fitness sites has broken links all over the place, it’s half finished but wasn’t affected by the medic update in the slightest. I simply have an author box at the end of each post. I’d start with that at the very least.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.