Fielding SEO Questions

Home Forums SEO Agency Chat Fielding SEO Questions

This topic contains 12 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by   Mohammed Sarwar .

• Author

Michelle Thomas

Which question do you field the most?

Partnering with ad agencies, I hear, “How long would it take to SEO yada-yada site?”

Seems to be a fundamental misunderstanding that SEO is static (or like an unnamed plugin ahem) that is one and done.

Adediji Adu

This is from someone that had absolutely no understanding about SEO at the beginning of this year and has spent a great deal of time trying to learn about it.

You have to educate your clients. They are completely unaware of what you do, how you do it or what it’ll cost.

Most cannot even ask the appropriate questions because they do not know what they don’t know.

I’ve spent a great deal of time learning and am amazed what I still have no idea or understanding about.

The terminology itself is baffling. You exist in a world we know nothing about.

That’s the true starting point for you with most clients. I hope that helps. I didn’t really answer your question though.

Ann Bentley

Haha. Still great insight though! Thank you.

Educating the client is a topic that comes up a LOT. It is something most companies want to do but end up not having the time for. Great reminder that it is equally as important.

I’m actually surveying for blog post motivation. So I will rephrase my question to you – as someone beginning in SEO what knowledge did you find the most helpful? What did you learn about first? What are you looking to learn about now?

Victor Clarke

I’m an agency owner and it’s something that I struggle with. I am very honest and upfront with my clients about what SEO costs, the time investment and what I am currently working on. Unfortunately their is only so much time on both sides, agency and business owner alike. I am very big on educating people I work with, but there is a limit sometimes. Consider what you just learned about SEO, now 20X that experience in years spent not only learning but implementing SEO. We always do our best, but sometimes explaining everything is hard to do. It’s better to gain clients trust by delivering results and to set customers minds at ease.

Peter Mellor

I’m an agency owner and it’s something that I struggle with. I am very honest and upfront with my clients about what SEO costs, the time investment and what I am currently working on. Unfortunately their is only so much time on both sides, agency and business owner alike. I am very big on educating people I work with, but there is a limit sometimes. Consider what you just learned about SEO, now 20X that experience in years spent not only learning but implementing SEO. We always do our best, but sometimes explaining everything is hard to do. It’s better to gain clients trust by delivering results and to set customers minds at ease.

Peter Mellor

Explaining everything is hard to do but when you’ve done it so long it becomes second nature.

I pretend I’m explaining something to my Mom.

Stella Reynolds

Might be a good practice. We create all we can for clients before they get to the sales table, Infographics, YouTube videos, Podcasts, SlideDecks and blog posts. Still willing to be an open book and answer any questions.

Mark Bennett

The first answer is very true, however, that also speaks to the particular clientele in that area. For example, we deal mostly with Fortune 500 and large eCommerce websites. So for them, they don’t ask that particular question, as they know that already and just need help with a streamlined approach to accomplish certain goals.

That said, a big objection of ours is from small businesses and goes a little something like this, “Why does link building cost so much?”? (we’re a link building agency)

William Yarwood

That’s when I find creating marketing collateral around educating/vetting your customers comes in handy. Let’s them know the process and that they can expect to pay X amount of dollars for services.

Peter Mellor

I could write about the long term value of link building.

Jared Barr

I know a company that spent on £16.000 just on link building alone, it was for a Christmas campaign.

Ann Bentley

Marketing collateral is key. Without it you’ll be just another agency.

Mohammed Sarwar

Clients wants to know how we can fix an errors on their websites, they don’t care how many 404’s (page not found) they have, because they can see them in GSC but how to get rid of them. That’s what I learned working for client side.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.