eCommerce Root & Sub Categories – Automotive

Home Forums White Hat SEO eCommerce Root & Sub Categories – Automotive

This topic contains 10 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by   Sinead McEvoy .

• Author

Ann Mawson

Hey guys,

Looking for information on how to structure an automotive e-stores Root and Sub categories for SEO.

1.) The e-store is for VW’s only. (Classic Builds, Street Builds, Dune Buggy Builds)
    2.) The parts are listed sub categorically for each. For instance an Antenna might be for a classic or for a dune buggy, or both.
    3. Trying to simplify for indexing purposes, user behaviour and SEO.

Would it be wise to adopt a structure such as

website.com/classic-vw/classic-vw-antenna
    website.com/baja-vw/baja-vw-antenna
    website.com/street-vw/street-vw-antenna

I would prefer website.com/body-parts/antennas but the store owner has let me know that using broad categories will lead to incorrect purchases/sales as individuals who end up in “Body Parts” will not know what sub-category model of VW the Antenna under Body parts may be for.

All input welcomed. Thank you so much

Paul Davis

Are you able to create indexable filters? I.e. /body-parts/vw-antennas plus filter “street”

Richard Grayson

Only if I create “tag” classes that are street*. But yes, I guess that would work.

Abdirizak Yusuf

I’m not sure I would go that route. If you can figure out a way to make them filters that’s what I would do I think. “Street” can go across all categories/sub-cats which would point more towards a filter.

Richard Putt

.com/classic-vw/exterior/antennas

Elizabeth Allen

How would you rank for just “VW Antennas”? This set up would have 3 pages trying to go after that term and then internal linking might be a little wonky also.

Alisdair James

He made it clear that his target must be more specific. So he would be ranking for “classic VW antennas” and the like. Yes, he would have 3 pages for a more generic search, in which case either all three could rank, but it wouldn’t matter because his site isn’t supposed to be organised for generic VW searches. It’s a niche site and each main subcategory is more or less a different vehicle.

Abdirizak Yusuf

These categories are only for product attribution, not page.

For Instance.

There is a page called Classic VW Body Parts, which has a 500 word blurb about VW Body Parts with On-Page SEO, and then from that page there is a link-out to another page called Classic VW Antennas with another blurb and on page SEO factors. We will be dropping in a module that pulls the categories with “Classic VW Body Parts” to it’s associated page and “Classic VW Antennas” to it’s page.

This is my understanding of how this should work.

Sinead McEvoy

I must have misread the post because I thought the niche was VW parts.

Abdirizak Yusuf

It’s VW parts for 3 different specific classes of builds.

Sinead McEvoy

I’m going to slightly modify my answer. If the domain name has “vw” in it, then I would use .com/classics/exterior/antennas … if it does not then there is a good possibility the line could expand in the future, in which case I would suggest .com/vw/classics/exterior/antennas/

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.