Delete Pages From Google Index

Home Forums White Hat SEO Delete Pages From Google Index

This topic contains 25 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by   David James .

• Author

Sara Grant

How do you properly delete pages from Google index?

I have made these unwanted pages noindex (using “X-Robots-Tag: noindex” HTTP header).
    Then I removed these pages using “Remove URLs” tool in Search console.

These pages have disappeared from Google for a while, but now they have come back (and I really don’t want them there).

What am I missing?

Jenette Bush

P.S. These pages are not blocked in robots.txt

Giacomo Pieri

Patience.

William Souter

Are you saying they will disappear eventually? Have you experienced something like this before?

Giacomo Pieri

Since you have no-indexed them, they won’t be indexed anymore. Give it a try with robot.txt as well, so bots don’t reach them for crawling anymore.

For removing the cached version from Google, it totally depends on Google’s mood. They will be removed in a few days or maybe weeks.

Alexandra Gorman

Noindex the page and blocking the page using robots.txt are two different paths. It depends on the goal. Do you want to stop indexation or crawling? Because if you blocked it from robots.txt even the page is set to follow. The crawler won’t even reach it to read the robots directive and thus it will break the link equity flow (in the case that the page matters to you from the link equity perspective).

William Souter

Are you sure you’re understanding his requirements? Why would he need link equity when he is going to no-index it anyway?

Richard Fisher

Btw, you have just rephrased what I have said, lol.

Syed Shah

Link equity “flow” we don’t apply nofollow directive just because we applied noindex.. again indexation and crawling are two different things.

Siobhan Newman

I didn’t rephrase what you said.. you recommended blocking crawling on top of indexation with robots.txt which I’m not recommending since we are only talking about indexation; not crawling as well.

Christopher Hammond

We’re not talking about anything bro, if you have a better solution, go for it, but instead of rephrasing my solution, do post your own.

Ryan Richardson

Forget about my typos.. they wont hurt this “SEO” conversation… not as much as “nofollow” will hurt anyway.

Simon Chapman

But before posting your solution, make sure you have understood his requirements! He wants the page to be completely disappeared from search engines and he want it, fast!

Giacomo Pieri

You still insist on “rephrasing”? Lol, Okay. I will give up.. it’s clear that indexation and crawling are the same thing to you.. okay keep nofollowing everything that you noindex just cause google didn’t take it out from the index as fast as you wanted.

Nadine Cairns

I am clearly telling him that since he has already no indexed the page, it should be removed soon.

But if he wants to speed up the process he can try blocking the robots as well from reaching the page.

No indexation and blocking a robot from reaching the page are surely two different things.

He doesn’t care about any link juice or equity so he shouldn’t care about blocking, no indexing, or any other technique.

Christopher Hammond

Recheck your noindex meta tags.

Elizabeth Allen

I’m using HTTP header “X-Robots-Tag: noindex” instead of meta tags, but yes, it’s there.

Christopher Hammond

You can also make these pages HTTP header response 410.

Alexandra Gorman

Can’t, these documents are necessary. I just don’t want them indexed in Google.

Geoffrey Claughton

Make sure no-index no-follow meta tags are properly placed in header. These pages are blocked from robots.txt.

Dawn Cotton

I only set noindex, without nofollow. Should I also add nofollow?

Michal Kahn

Yea 410 in htaccess does it for me.

Nicola Hawkins

Can’t, these documents are necessary. I just don’t want them indexed in Google.

Alisdair James

You could always change the URL’s and put 410 in place of them, if you are not wanting them in search Id presume you do not want the links anywhere else. Changing the URLs will not harm the site in anyway, but 410 in the htaccess will keep google away for good and its the fastest way to remove indexed links. 410 is a specific instruction to say the page has been permanently removed. 404’s can take months to be removed. Make sure to also exclude the links from any sitemaps that you use.

Jenette Bush

You should be quite clear about them to Google. Noindex them is great and it’s the first step, they’re technically still in the Google index, even though they’re not delivered to the users within the search results.
    This means that Google still crawl them (and if they’re a lot, they consume your crawl budget)

Your goal is to remove them.

You should:
    1. Noindex them.
    2. Include all of the pages to be deleted in a dedicated XML sitemap and post it on Google Search Console.
    3. Make sure Google see all of them (or most if they’re a lot) from the xml sitemap.
    4. Create and upload an orphan basic html page (with no css or any kind of layout from your site) with all the links to the URLs you want to delete, and ‘noindex’ the orphan page
    5. Delete them all (404)
    6. Fetch as Google (in GSC) the orphan html page: Fetch and render + Request indexing (Crawl this URL and its direct links)
    6. Check the sitemap (coverage) and monitor if/when they are removed from the Google index
    7. Check the logs if you have access to them so that you can make sure the bot had access to all the URLs.

*Don’t* use the Disallow in robots.txt

Hope this helps

David James

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.